• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Choosing a cube, for noobs

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
This should be a sticky in the hardware forum. I know there's already one there, but it's a little outdated and not as comprehensive as this one.

pentrixter

Banned
This should be a sticky in the hardware forum. I know there's already one there, but it's a little outdated and not as comprehensive as this one.
Agreed.

I think this topic could be sticky-worthy IF:
  • Pictures were added of the cubes
  • It was put in the hardware forum

Do you want me to move it to that forum?
Now there are pictures. Please move to the hardware forum and sticky!

Poke

YouTube
Visit Channel
I already have a type C... But I may get a type A 3rd and a type F and see if I can maybe hybrid them... of course the type D and F mentioned earlier sound pretty good, too.

the1lord5

WCA
2009BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is just my opinon:
I actually like the Cube4you DIYS.
Mine glides nicely,cuts corners a bit.and in my opinon is a Good cube.

I am not sure if you just got a bad Diansheng because o bought 25 big dianshengs and i tested one it popped allot but then i tried another it it was fine.
I see what you mean about the Crispy Plastic,but the color scheme is correct.
Mine does not lock up at all so...

BTW: Have you tested the mini dianshengs there really nice!
Again this is just MY opinon.

Zarxrax

I got a type A (old) recently but I'm going to avoid adding another review of it, because I think mine is not representative of the cube in general. The cubies I got with it were absolute crap... they had plastic jutting out on a lot of the edges. Worst cubies I've ever seen. Must have been a bad batch or something.

Armandas

Is there any visual differences between all these types? How to differentiate DIY cube types? (I have 3x3x3 but don't know what type is it.. it's quite old..)
Thanks.

TimMc

Premium Member
WCA
2009MCMA01
Any cube will do...

A DIY isn't really going to help you with your solve times if you don't set the tension and lubricate the cube properly. In some cases you may need to sand down and polish defects to make it turn smoothly.

For example:
My Dayan Lingyun kept popping and didn't turn smoothly because I didn't have the right lubricant to allow the tension to be set properly. I was able to set the tension really tight to avoid popping while allowing it to cut corners after applying Lubix Cube Lubricant to: the inside housing of the six centre pieces; the inner face of each screw; the feet of the corners; and the feet of the edges.

My solve times dropped from an average of 29 seconds to 22 seconds for one-handed solving instantly with the Dayan Lingyun. I still use a Dayan Guhong for two-handed solving as I like it to be loose without locking up or popping but I'd have to make it tighter for it to be suitable for one-handed solving. I guess this is where better control over cubes that turn really well comes into play (i.e. overturn).

Tim.