• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions - READ BEFORE POSTING

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In an effort to curb the flood of threads that are essentially the same, I've collected and answered a bunch of common questions. Feel free to add your own and I will append them.

How do I learn how to solve the cube?

There are many different ways to learn how to solve the cube. While most will suggest you learn the method in the instruction manual or a basic method from youtube, two great starting points are the super simple 8355 method and the (mostly) intuition-based Petrus Method.

What do these RU'BFzL2 things mean?

Nearly all methods use algorithms to perform tasks to advance to wards a completed cube. Algorithms are sequences of moves that are written in cubing notation.

How do I do it blindfolded?

The method widely considered the easiest to use at the moment is the Pochmann Method. The page that is linked will give you a nice introduction to solving blindfolded and blindfolded methods in general.

What do I learn next?

The most popular method at the moment for speedcubing is CFOP. A good website for someone wishing to transition to CFOP is Badmephisto's site.

Where can I learn X? Where can I get algs for X?

If they exist, algorithms and information for most things can usually be found on the Speedsolving Wiki.

When should I learn OLL?

This question pops up a lot and the answer is quite frankly, whenever you feel like it. There is no 'correct' time to start learning a full set of algorithms. However, if you average over a minute there are probably other things in your solve that can work on to help you improve other than learning OLL. There are people who know full OLL and average over 2 mins and people who don't know OLL and average 12 seconds.

How do I get faster?

(Hopefully after people start to read this FAQ, threads that start with this question and continue with a flood of "Practise" will be curbed.)

The main way to get faster is to just practise. There's no secret, but there are things you can do to help improve. An example is analysing how long each part of your solve takes and seeing what you can improve on. No one knows how you can get faster better than you do.

Where can I learn fingertricks?

Fingertricks can be difficult to describe in text. I advise you to try and start using fingertricks without focusing too much on them. As you watch videos of cubers to see how they do it, and speak to people at competitions to pick up tricks, you'll develop your own style of fingertricks over time. I find it helps to try and discover fingertricks yourself when learning algs.

I want to go to a competition. How do I know when there's going to be one near me?

All competitions that have been announced or have already happened are posted on the WCA website. If there's not a competition that is near you at the moment, be on the lookout! Sometimes future competitions are discussed in the Official WCA Competition sub-forum.

What's the best cube? Which cube should I get?

There is no 'best cube'. Personal preference and style contribute to the decision on which cube is best for you. However, there are some cubes that are more popular than others because many consider them to be the best for them. As of writing, popular cubes are the Dayan Guhong, FII and Alpha5/HaiyanMemory.

When is X coming out?

No idea.

Where should I buy my cubes/stickers/lubricant?

Popular sites include cubesmith.com for stickers and lightake.com for everything else. A quick look in the Hardware Area will reveal where people are buying things from at the moment.

Which is the best method?

As with the 'best cube' question, there is no best method. The most popular methods at the moment for speedcubing are; CFOP, Roux, Petrus and ZZ

What method should I learn? Should I switch methods?

This is another question with no real answer. Do some research for yourself and if you like the look of a method, go for it! Each method mentioned has potential to be very fast. People have gone further with certain methods than with others, but that doesn't mean that those methods are 'better'.

I discovered a new method! Is it good?

It's highly likely that the method has been already discussed at length. I advise you to do some research before posting about it and check if it already exists. If you're sure that it's a new and unique idea, post it and get ready to defend it from the people telling you that it's a bad idea :)

I heard that I shouldn't use a good cube until I get faster.

This seems to be a common misconception peddled by uninformed cubers. There is no advantage to gain from starting with an inferior cube. In fact, you may develop some poor techniques by doing this. It will only hold you back and make it more difficult for you to adjust to a better cube.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigSams

Great list.. if n00bs can be bothered to find it. Even if it's sticked, the only thing a first time poster will be thinking about is WERR CAN I GET DA BEST C00B EVAAEERR. It's inevitable.

Andrew Ricci

Anonymity is for Nubs
WCA
2010RICC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great list.. if n00bs can be bothered to find it. Even if it's sticked, the only thing a first time poster will be thinking about is WERR CAN I GET DA BEST C00B EVAAEERR. It's inevitable.

Then we should ban anyone and everyone who posts these topics. Sure, it may be a little to much, but it'll get the message across. Just about everyone is sick of it.

David Zemdegs

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
As someone who has joined many technical forums I know that it can be daunting to ask what sounds like a simple question. Some of us do try and read FAQ(s) before posting but some dont. The response goes to the "culture" of a forum. What kind of "culture" do you want to be? Friendly and inviting or exclusive and dismissive? Thats up to all of you. FWIW, if I saw yet another really basic question from a new user, I would respond by welcoming the user and include a link to the FAQ(s). But thats just me....

Nice thread, I say we make it mandatory for all new members to read this before they register.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do OLL, PLL, F2L, ext. stand for?

Speedsolvers use many abbreviations that indicate certain steps in a method. Here's a basic list of what each letter stands for.

"O" - Orientation
"P" - Permutation
"LL" - Last Layer
"C" - Corner
"E" - Edge
"F2L" - First Two Layers

When the letters are strung together, you find things like COLL (Corner Orientation (and permutation) of Last Layer) and PLL (Permutation of Last Layer).

Last edited:

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yea but COLL doesn't REALLY stand for Corner Orientation of Last Layer, that would be OCLL, atleast the way I'm reading it. COLL is kinda elusive in nomenclature, imo.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yea but i don't think Corners and Orientation of LL works either, cause that seems to imply full OLL + CP. I don't know the best way to put it...