• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

IE vs. FF

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Which is better? Of course since FF is newer, less people use it (i think), therefore less chance of getting a virus. But I seem to like IE better, maybe because I am used to it. What do you think?

dougreed

Firefox 1.5 is faster, free, less buggy, has more features, and yes, there is a certain security-through-obscurity element present because of the lessened market share.

It also benefits from being open, and therefore has many of the same benefits as other open software (think Linux and the BSD family).

-Doug

Smoid

I used to use IE because i didnt find FF much better. But now i have switched to FF. One main reason it when it doesnt find a web page or it times out. It just has a message box and doesnt goto that "error 404 page" (at least when using KOL :). And with 56k That was a nice thing while playing browser games like KOL and stuff (kingdomofloathing)

And i like the favorites bar for things like speedcubing.com and stuff :)

Although i dont find it faster.. Probably because my internet is soooo slow already it doesnt change ^_^

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I need to DL FF sometime, but havent got to it. I am using IE, and since I put a new firewall in, I have been fine. If any of you have computer problems, be sure to check out my PC site:
http://pchelp.excelitehost.com

For those of you who use linux, how is that working for you? Anyone use Opera?
Pat

pjgat09

Whats holding you back? FF is an excellent browser. One thing I noticed is the intelligent address bar. I needed a table of elements the other day, and it brought me to a page that fit perfectly. You can also make "quick searches" for google and wikipedia. If i wanted to searched wikipedia for Rubik's, I could type this: "wp Rubik's".

Also, (on www.stopIE.com), you're on dial up, and tabbed browsing will make the internet seem faster by being able to load one page while reading another.

So, try it! It is certainly worth it.

pjgat09

I agree. Currently, I have 16 tabs open, 5 of which I never close. And you may have heard that the new version of IE will have tabbed browing too. My friend got a version of this (pre-release version)and was glad to tell me just how bad it was. Turns out, it is less "tabbed" browsing, and more of taking up space. The new "tabbed" browsing system will appear like the bookwarks window, on the side. You will need that window open to switch from "tab" to "tab". Its also unstable. Seems like microsoft is going their normal ways and making horrible software.

dougreed

My problem with the netscape suite is that it is bloated and tries to be everything at once. This is the goal of the mozilla suite, of course, so I suppose there is just a fundamental difference of opinion there that I shouldn't criticize on the software level.

Nevertheless, when I open up FF, I expect to visit a web site, not check my mail, log onto AIM, do some chatting on IRC, etc. I have separate clients for that, which suits me very well.

-Doug

dougreed

I have to vote thumbs-down on konqueror. It seems way too bloated to me, but maybe I just haven't used it enough. Then again, the konqueror shipped with SimpleKDE looks useable.

-Doug

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I am going to download FF tonight, and check it out. Do you guys think it is "bad" for your computer to have both IE and FF on your comp. being used? Thanks