• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

chron0s

I just put 3x1.5 N42 from gaussboys into a KungFu Yuehun 2x2 - hit it on the first try for once! These magnets are great in this cube (for my preferences anyway), not strong but definitely add stability and tactile feedback without getting in the way.

Gonna try the same magnets in a dayan 2x2 next. I've used 4x1 N38 in the dayan 2x2 and been pretty happy but this magnet is slightly stronger and I think will fit it better.

I used angstrom lubes on the kungfu but there's a lot of contact area internally, need to spend more time on setup and tensioning.

Bui An

Recently I magnetized a yuxin little magic and it feels alittle bit too strong. How do i lube it so it can be faster?

And what type of magnets should I use for mf3rs2, wuque and weichuang gts?

chron0s

Had to go back and edit my thickness measurements - I confused the MF2 with the MF2S. The MF2 has thinner walls (1.05mm) whereas the MF2S uses thicker plastic.

I magnetized an MF2 (the frosted tile one, same that labs uses) with 1/10 x 1/16 inch N42s. This feels good! I lubed this cube with angstrom lubes earlier and the cube is really stable, no catching. I could go a bit weaker personally on magnets and may order another to try 4x1 N35.

I've got the MF2S ready for magnetization - because of the cap design there isn't a lot of space in here for magnets - a 3mm diameter magnet may fit (barely). I'll try 3x1.5 N42 in this.

chron0s

I did a yuxin white - this cube is a pain to magnetize and my first attempt failed. You can't remove the caps and have the cube stay together so you're stuck trying to position magnets on a free floating corner with no stalk.

After failing I realized an easy way to do it - I took a magnetized corner from a Yuxin Little Magic 2x2 and put the corner on that. Added a little glue, dropped magnets on, worked out well.

I used 3x1 N48 (from ebay) - not sure if the strength is accurate but it seems to be, the feel came out about how I expected. I wouldn't go stronger in this cube for my preferences, maybe N45 would be better. The plastic is quite thin and the cube is so light overall, you don't need much magnet strength to keep the pieces aligned. Magnets help this 2x2 for sure. I need to play around with tensions on this cube and add a little bit of lube. It pops internally on normal tensions. Magnets seem to have helped reduce popping.

With the tear I've been on I've gotten FAST at magnetizing 2x2s. I spread a blob of gel onto a plastic bag and dab glue on four pieces at a time using a toothpick. Glue magnets, then add some supporting glue on them. The blob stays wet for a long time.

Duncan Bannon

Okay! Long time since Ive posted here. I want to magnetize a X Man Galaxy V2 Mega. I was wonder if Corner edge was better than center edge. Which is better? Once I have that information. What magnets would you recommend for the one you recommend.

^That

and whats a good weak magnet for a 2x2?

ShadowCurv

Why aren't my magnets working properly?
I have recently put magnets inside my cube, specifically the cubicle strong magnets, and it seems to be stronger only when the cube is completely solved. Whenever I scramble it, I barley feel any of the magnets. Does anyone have an idea of what's causing this? P.S: I did follow the steps in their video guide, and i have checked the magnets to make sure they are all in place correctly. Any solutions will help!

jaslee01

I've recently purchased magnets and the coating on the magnets are already beginning to chip away. I was wondering if I could still use these magnets to magnetize a cube. To my understanding, the coating around the magnets are thin enough to not affect the pull force of the magnet but the coating serves as a protection from possible corrosion on the magnet which I'm not sure if the contact of the uncoated magnets and the super glue will cause corrosion. FYI: the magnets are not completely chipped, approximately 30%-40% of each magnet's coating is gone and I am currently using Loctite liquid super glue.

teh yoshi

Wait, you got new magnets and all of them are nearly half chipped away? All by themselves? This sounds awful. Where are you getting these?

Also, importantly, what kind of magnets are these, and for what cube(s)? If they're just mere N35 4x2s, then you can get those for crazy cheap pretty much anywhere online. Might as well not risk anything and buy new magnets for mere dollars. If they're on the more expensive side because they've got uncommon measurements and strengths, then perhaps it might barely be worth using them.

jaslee01

I bought a strong magnet kit from thecubicle.us which comes with 5x1 n48 magnets. I already emailed their support team and they are sending me a replacement set of magnets. I was just wondering if these chipped magnets are still usable

teh yoshi

It would be nice to have a photo, but since they are already strong magnets, if I had to guess, they should still be completely usable. Just make sure to use a big glob of glue when setting them down as they won't have a very even surface area unlike brand new magnets. I like to use Gorilla Super Glue Gel.

chron0s

I magnetized a thunderclap mini last night - my first 4x4. I used 3x1.5 N52 in the edges, 4x2 N35 in the corners. Came out perfect. Took so long! I made the mistake of completely disassembling the cube which only added more time.

I lubed with a little bit of gravitas on the rings, and what felt like a scary amount of dignitas on the pieces and internal mechansm. To my surprise the cube turns great. I also added lubicle-1 and silk.

Strength wise this is spot on.

teh yoshi

Hey, good to know. Added your recommendation in the spreadsheet, thanks!

I tried using N38 4x1 for the inner slice on mine, and it turned out way too strong. Maybe if I made my cube faster, it would be nice, though.

sillyturdle

Has anyone magnetized the normal yuxin 5x5?

I have some cubicle money and it's on sale, and since I magnetized all my 3x3s and 4x4 wondering about magnet strengths.

teh yoshi

Has anyone magnetized the normal yuxin 5x5?

I have some cubicle money and it's on sale, and since I magnetized all my 3x3s and 4x4 wondering about magnet strengths.
Check my spreadsheet. Looks like @One Wheel made a suggestion for the YuXin Purple.

I personally didn't do this setup myself, but I did something a little weird for my Purple. I've got a ton of extra N35 4x2 magnets that I don't really have much use for, so I figured I'd try placing them all throughout the cube, and then doubling up the the inner layers and the edge that's touching the corner. I'm surprised that the magnet strength still turned out a bit light for my taste, but still very doable. The cube didn't turn out surprisingly all that heavy either. I haven't lubed it yet, but I'm sure it'll turn out even better.