• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
On the topic of hand-scrambling: when I don't use generated scrambles (often if I'm watching TV and just spamming) I like to enter "opposite land" for part of my scramble. Just before I'm about make a turn I do the opposite of what I was about to do. I try to mimic what the random state scramblers usually do, with a fair number of 180 turns in the first half. But truly random is hard.

Old Tom

WCA
2018DOYL02
On the topic of hand-scrambling: when I don't use generated scrambles (often if I'm watching TV and just spamming) I like to enter "opposite land" for part of my scramble. Just before I'm about make a turn I do the opposite of what I was about to do. I try to mimic what the random state scramblers usually do, with a fair number of 180 turns in the first half. But truly random is hard.

In duplicate bridge (I'm very involved in that, don't get me started, wrong forum anyway) there is a great deal of discussion, data and controversy concerning random deals v hand deals. But most agree that random deals seem to be "weirder" than hand deals. The statisticians insist that this weirdness is illusory, that hand deals skew towards "flatter" and more boring distributions. I wonder if there is any data on cube scrambling. Seems to me it would be very hard to gather and analyze.

Last edited:

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I've done enough solves with the Yuxin HuangLong M stickerless to give my final take on it.

Shades: definitely my favorite shades of all the stickerless 3x3 I've tried. Full stop.

Magnets: a bit strong for my taste for 3x3, I prefer the weaker feel of the mass produced GTS2M. But I like it for 3bld, I still execute somewhat slowly and like the confidence the stronger magnets give me.

Speed: yes it's fast but a well maintained GTS2M tuned for speed is faster IMO, or at least feels like there is less turning resistance. I'd say it's on par with my magnetic Valk 3 stickerless.

After about a week and a half I did a full disassembly, wipe down, and tune up. I decided to take the corner ball-bearing weights out at that time* and try it without them and I think I like it better without the weights. I introduced the extra variable of having just cleaned and lubed it at the same time though, jury is still out. I'm definitely back to the GTS2M for 3x3, still the reining champ for my tastes, but the HunagLong is a great puzzle and I consider it main-worthy. Like my Valk 3, I expect it to get plenty of use just for a change of pace here and there.

* I recommend putting down a towel or something to catch the small elusive bearings that will try to escape
Interesting point about stronger magnets for blind. I tend to like stronger magnets, but am also an avid GTS2M fan. I may have to give this Yuxin a shot.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wonder if there is any data on cube scrambling. Seems to me it would be very hard to gather and analyze.
There is data on random state scrambles versus random move scrambles. That means genuinely random moves, which would exclude the biases that might occur with hand scrambles.

I can't find it right now, but from memory I think it showed that a sequence of random moves needs to be at least 40 long before the distribution of good/bad edges converges on what you would get with random state scrambles.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
There is data on random state scrambles versus random move scrambles. That means genuinely random moves, which would exclude the biases that might occur with hand scrambles.

I can't find it right now, but from memory I think it showed that a sequence of random moves needs to be at least 40 long before the distribution of good/bad edges converges on what you would get with random state scrambles.
I remember something about 50 random moves. But I have no idea where I got that. So... if I do handscramble I just do random turns for a minute or so...

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I remember something about 50 random moves. But I gave no idea where I got that. So... if I do handscramble I just do random turns for a minute or so...
There are three levels.

1. Random state = ideal in terms of both distribution and length.

2. Random moves = requires 40+ moves to converge on an even distribution.

3. Hand scramble = pseudo-random moves with patterns introduced from muscle memory, possibly resulting in bias. 50 moves would probably be enough but who knows what biases are introduced by muscle memory. I'm not aware of any empirical study on that.

Anyway, for practical purposes, it doesn't really matter for home practice as long as the cube isn't half solved or showing the same patterns each time. IMHO the most important things to do in a hand scramble are (1) toss with spin half way through, and (2) avoid looking at it so you're not tempted to make it "more random" by breaking colour blocks. If you do those two things I suspect even 25-30 moves would be enough.

JanW

WCA
2018WANA01
(2) avoid looking at it so you're not tempted to make it "more random" by breaking colour blocks.
I would very much agree with this. Many people have mentioned scrambling it some more if there are cross pieces solved or such. I think that's bad, because you also need to get used to solving the easy crosses. I still feel extra pressure whenever cstimer gives me a super easy cross, because I see the opportunity for a super fast solve, possibly even a new PB. It's not as bad as it used to be. When I first started doing timed solves I always messed up the easy crosses. Only by doing more easy crosses you'll eventually get used to solving with the extra pressure caused by high expectations.

phreaker

I know the feelings on an "easy cross" when I see an easy EOLine. "Ok, I can fully plan this line, and it is really smooth." Ironically, my current PB was set with 8 bad edges to start. I've only once seen the mythical 0 edges, and seen the awful 12, a few times.

I placed a few orders in the last few days:

A 2 solution lenticular set of stickers, a fade a black lenticular set, and a calendar set + 3 MF3RS2s to go with them.

The rest is all real speed cubes:

Gan 354M (I really think this is my OH main to be, the 356s can just feel a hair large, and I prefer stickerless.)
Gan 460M (I like Gan cubes... what can I say?)
Huanglong M (And Yuxin)
Shadow M (And Qiyi... sometimes. I'm hoping this isn't a disappointment.)
Weilong GTS3

Well, back to work on BLD. I'm a bit concerned on the Gan cubes that I won't be able to use them for BLD due to logos. :(

Last edited:

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
I still need to get on the ball and start doing at least one daily 2-cube blind attempt. I'm reasonably confident I can get 2/2 under 20mins, 10 mins per cube should be plenty of time for solid memo for me now. Just the usual issue of splitting time when I have a lot of 3x3 work going on right now.

My fight to get a sub 25 Ao50 continues to be silly. Yesterday's episode: a PB running Ao25 of 23.65 but still landed mid 25 due to tanking the final dozen solves. The session included a shoulda-been 17.55 full step that was a +2... still landed sub 20 lol. Small victories though, a mid :23 Ao25 is the longest I've ever managed to command decent lookahead and during that spell it felt like I had to screw up to end up with anything above 23.

phreaker

I still need to get on the ball and start doing at least one daily 2-cube blind attempt. I'm reasonably confident I can get 2/2 under 20mins, 10 mins per cube should be plenty of time for solid memo for me now. Just the usual issue of splitting time when I have a lot of 3x3 work going on right now.

I'll admit... What comes to mind when one sees 3 identical cubes in front of them. (Yes, I'm going to stickermod them, but I'm waiting until I get the GTS3M in, to actually set them up properly.) 3/3 MBLD of course! But it is SO strange going from my Gan SUM to the Mf3RS2, for BLD. I'm not sure I have a success on a non-magnetic cube yet. :/

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I always make hand scrambles difficult. I throw, spin between my fingers on opposite corners and break up anything that looks easy. But, I only ever use generated scrambles on timed solves (I only time blind) as I couldn't count a PB on a hand scramble.
I haven't done any big blind since finding out I couldn't make the UKs as I was too down about it but I've now found out that the holiday that got on the way has fallen through. Not only do I get to go but I've got brownie points for agreeing to miss it!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07

Very promising day one despite 0/2 with more mistakes than are worth mentioning. 12:26 (7:00/5:25). Didn't bother with review but I had plenty of time if I wanted to. Actually quite surprised with the time.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Very promising day one despite 0/2 with more mistakes than are worth mentioning. 12:26 (7:00/5:25). Didn't bother with review but I had plenty of time if I wanted to. Actually quite surprised with the time.
Well done. That's maybe 15 mins with a review (execution would be faster). I'm seeing the potential for 5 or 6 in an hour if you get a chance for a full attempt.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Well done. That's maybe 15 mins with a review (execution would be faster). I'm seeing the potential for 5 or 6 in an hour if you get a chance for a full attempt.

I'm signed up for Michigan in about a month, thus getting off my butt to practice. I'm currently thinking 2 or 3 for my first attempt, I'd kinda like to stay well within what I think I can get 100% success on and I'm feeling like 3 might be my limit at the moment. Obviously time isn't a bottleneck and today's major issues were mostly execution, which is the easiest problem to fix so we'll see, I may be underestimating. I have enough locations for 8 cubes so plenty of room for growth in that dept.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I always make hand scrambles difficult. I throw, spin between my fingers on opposite corners and break up anything that looks easy. But, I only ever use generated scrambles on timed solves (I only time blind) as I couldn't count a PB on a hand scramble.
I haven't done any big blind since finding out I couldn't make the UKs as I was too down about it but I've now found out that the holiday that got on the way has fallen through. Not only do I get to go but I've got brownie points for agreeing to miss it!

I wouldn’t count a PB off a hand-scramble either... just doesn’t seem right. I DO think I have reasonably random starting conditions, but I would never know if I had a bias during a hand scramble and so wouldn’t count it. In fact, I don’t even time when I’m just practing with handscrambles.... I mean, if I had a timer handy, I’d use it to generate scrambles too.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I haven’t even tried another MBLD attempt since last week when I got 2/4. For the weekly, I’ll give 3 cubes a shot with a goal of 1 pt (2/3), which would be an improvement over my 0 pts (2/4) last week. But, I haven’t made the time yet to do that. Hopefully by the time I get a legit/official attempt at MBLD I will have a reasonable shot at 3/3 or 3/4. There’s NOTHING on my local comp schedule with MBLD that I am able to attend... there’s a Pennsylvania comp, but I don’t think I’ll be able to make that one. Otherwise, I’ll be on the lookout. I DO plan to talk with the delegates/organizers this weekend about a BLD featured event somewhere on the East Coast of the States—preferrably in Virginia or Maryland so I can make it.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
Any of my fellow oldies have the Megaminx V2M from Xman? I am not really into Megaminx, but when I do get on a run, I get a little frustrated with the different edges moving when not desired. My guess is that the magnets would be beneficial much like in 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6. I have found that having magnets in bigger cubes has made a huge difference in my enjoyment to solve them (timed or slowly just for fun). Mis-aligned layers and related lockup’s are just not enjoyable.

My question is whether or not the Magentic version is worth the cost?

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I'm signed up for Michigan in about a month, thus getting off my butt to practice. I'm currently thinking 2 or 3 for my first attempt, I'd kinda like to stay well within what I think I can get 100% success on and I'm feeling like 3 might be my limit at the moment. Obviously time isn't a bottleneck and today's major issues were mostly execution, which is the easiest problem to fix so we'll see, I may be underestimating. I have enough locations for 8 cubes so plenty of room for growth in that dept.
Awwww man... that’s my home state. I’d LOVE to make a comp in Michigan. Of course, they are always hosted by that “other” school in the state. You know, the crappy blue and yellow one... (for our overseas friends, University of Michigan has yellow and blue school colours... I attended Michigan State Univeristy which uses Green and White—CLEARLY there is a rivalry)