• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
What should I stock up on?

Depends on what cubes you're magnetizing. I'm personally a fan of 4x1, 5x1, and 6x1 magnets in various strengths. I've done a few big cubes with 4x1 n52 in the corners and really like them. The 2mm thick magnets are probably more forgiving of getting slightly wrong magnet strength since the centers of the magnets are further apart. I like taking measurements of a puzzle before I magnetize it, calculating what magnets are right, and ordering specifically for that puzzle.

teh yoshi

@THERAGINGCYCLOPS I'm magnetizing that as I type this, actually. I'll let you know when it's done.

UPDATE: I experimented with N38 4x1.5 outer, N38 4x1 inner. Jayzus, these magnets are strong! I might have to speed up the cube by a lot in order to compensate.

Last edited:

teh yoshi

Does anybody know what magnets the YuXin HuangLong M uses? Also, if the packaging is any different from the non-magnetic version?

teh yoshi

Sorry for triple posting, but nobody has posted in a while. Anyway, I finally magnetized a WuHua V2, my first 6x6, and while reassembling that thing never have I longed for death until now.

Also, I updated my magnetic spreadsheet to accurately document all the different plastic thickness in bigger cubes as well as magnet strengths and placement. Hopefully anyone can read it! If you've got a cube and a caliper, please help me out with these measurements.

Next up, since that WuHua V2 was only a practice cube, I'll be magnetizing my YuXin Red. Death, here I come!

chron0s

Just magnetized the yuxin little magic 2x2! I've had angstrom lubes in this and broken it in for a while. I used 4x1 N35 from ebay (the canadian seller). This cube has recessed areas for 4mm magnets so they mostly just drop right in. 4x1 N35 is weak in other 2x2s I've tried but it's on the stronger side in this one. I wouldn't go stronger. I'm not sure what I can find thats weaker and 4mm wide, 4mm x .3/4mm? Anyway it helps the performance but its a little rough and clunky in such a light cube. I'd prefer something that keeps the feel closer to unmagnetized. Reminds me of the labs weipo in terms of how the magnets behave. Maybe I can center some smaller diameter, weaker magnets in these holes but getting them aligned will be a bit of a pain. More soon, couldn't resist doing some cube work. If anyone knows anything in 4mm that's weaker than a 4x1 N35 I'd love to give it a try.

chron0s

You might be right. It's a fast, light cube so some magnets would be nice but maybe I just can't get the feel I'm looking for that way. It responds well to angstrom lubes but needs something to stabilize it. I'll do more solving with it and see if I adjust to the feeling. I wonder if they'll come out with a commercial magnetic version.

Ah and I'll get thicknesses into the spreadsheet - I'm going to magnetize a weipo, kung fu 2x2 and some others and will need to pick magnets carefully for these cubes - the sides are thicker than the xinghen, chuwen etc.

chron0s

Ok did another LM 2x2- this time 3x1 N35. I used regular crazy glue to make it easy to shift the magnets around and get them as centered as possible before it starts to set. This is a LOT closer to what I prefer at least, there's a light tactile bump but it doesn't get in the way of turning. I personally want a little more strength so I ordered 3x1 N38 and 3x1 N42 to try next.

To be clear though I think a lot of people would like 4x1 N35 so not saying others shouldn't use that strength. It gives the cube a feel like a labs xinghen or weipo strength wise.

When I was magnetizing the LM I used one of the pieces that had 4x1 magnets in it as a kind of 'jig' - I added a bunch of extra 4x1 magnets to that piece to make them stronger, and I was able to lay down a drop of (runny) crazy glue and drop the magnet on, shift it around a bit and get it more or less in the middle. Being off isn't the end of the world in this cube - the most you can be off is .5 mm and the magnet naturally goes into the middle anyway.

chron0s

Finally got my hands on a Huanglong factory magnetized. It's interesting - they use two different magnets. 4x2 in the corners, 4x1 in the edges. Overall feels a bit weaker than 4x1.5 N38.

chron0s

I magnetized another LM 2x2 with 3x1 N42. Nice strength in this cube if you want a light but noticable magnetic feel.

chron0s

Planning to magnetize some classic cubes and measured the plastic thickness on a bunch of 2x2s. My magnet choices make more sense with this data. I used a digital caliper.

weipo 1.7mm
tangpo 1.7mm
yuehun 1.5mm
dayan new plastic 1.5mm
dayan old plastic 1.5mm
mf2s 1.35mm
xinghen 1.25mm
feihu 1.20mm
chuwen 1.18mm (note that there seems to be a hair thin gap between the pieces on this cube)
mf2 1.05mm
yuxin white .90mm
yuxin little magic 1.25 regular thickness. Cube has depressions for magnets, with a 1 mm magnet glued in I get .81 thickness for the plastic, lets call it .75mm inside the depression, since there is some glue in there.

I noticed that the cubicle weipo has 6x1 magnets in it, not sure about strength. I prefer lighter strength in my cubes.

I don't have a wuxia at the moment but will check the thickness.

EDIT: I added the Yuxin White - I just needed to unscrew the base of the corners form the rest of the cube.

Last edited:

chron0s

I tried 3x1.5 N42 from gaussboys in a Weipo. The weipo has the thickest plastic of the ones I just measured, these magnets are a little too weak for my preferences in this cube.

EDIT: Did a second one with 4x1 N48 from ebay. _still_ too light :/. Ebay magnets can be a tossup, are these truly N48?

I have a bag of 4x1 N52 from gaussboys, may try those next.

Last edited:

chron0s

Alright, I put 4x1 N52 from gaussboys into a third weipo - now we're getting somewhere. This is light but has the noticeable bump I'm looking for without becoming harder to turn. Will add angstrom lubes and a tiny bit of something heavier to slow it down a hair and I think it'll be pretty good, for my preferences anyway.

teh yoshi

EDIT: Did a second one with 4x1 N48 from ebay. _still_ too light :/. Ebay magnets can be a tossup, are these truly N48?
Yeah, I had some hope in getting lucky with eBay magnets, but all my "N50" and "N42" magnets all turned out to be super weak N35s.

Straight up, I even ordered some N35 6x1s and N50 6x1s from the same seller, but they all came in the same bag with the same serial number, and they counted as the same thing on the packaging slip.

I guess I'll only stick to eBay if I know I need some weak and cheap N35 anything, but any other grade I'll just go to Gauss Boys from now on.

Duncan Bannon

Okay! Long time since Ive posted here. I want to magnetize a X Man Galaxy V2 Mega. I was wonder if Corner edge was better than center edge. Which is better? Once I have that information. What magnets would you recommend for the one you recommend.