• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

teh yoshi

@chron0s That's awesome. The feeling of the factory GTS2 M isn't bad, so I'm hoping the magnet strength will be on the stronger side.

If you can, do you think you can get a measurement of the plastic thickness to help with my spreadsheet? I'm assuming it'll be similar to the Little Magic. However, it doesn't look like I'm getting a HuangLong in a while. I'd appreciate it! :]

chron0s

I feel like this strength is a good fit for this cube (as is the n35 4x2) - neither are 'lite' but the n38 4x1.5 is a little mellower without losing the tactile feedback that I prefer. I know people prefer a range of strengths so YMMV. I have the magnetic version on preorder so I'll post to the thread when I get it to say what the stock magnets feel like.

teh yoshi lemme get myself a caliper and get back to you! Might take me a while but I'll be sure to get measurements for as many cubes as possible once I do.

Keiserolsen

Hello. Just got my moyu aoshi gts 6x6 in the mail today. I planned to use 5x1 mm n50 and n35, and 3x2 mm n35 magnets in it, but they have made slots for magnet, so they won`t fit. Looks like I have to order some new magnets now. (I enjoy magnetizing, so I always order non magnetic cubes). Anyway, the slots fit 4x2/4x1.5 in corner/edge, 4x1.5 in outer edges, and 4x1 in the middle layer. But i need to know the strength of the magnets they use (or which I should use). I used 5x1 n50 in my gts2, and that is perfect for me. So need something similar in feeling. Any suggestions?

DMCubing

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of creating a magnet guide spreadsheet that includes magnet recommendations as well as plastic thickness measurements. Hopefully it'll give you an idea of which magnets to get for whatever cube.

I don't have a lot of cubes in my possession, so I was only able to record the thickness of the ones I've got. If anybody can, help me fill in some measurements, preferably in mm. And feel free to lend me some magnets recommendations and other things to note while magnetizing certain cubes.

Please let me know how it looks and if it helps. Thanks!
Oh no. Someone put that I recommend an N48 4x2 for a Gan Air???? No!!!! Have never said that. That cube is so free flowing and light that the highest strength magnet I'd ever use is an N35 4x1.7, opting really for the 4x1.5. The factory magnetized Air SM uses an N50 or 52 3x2. There's no need for more strength than that, imo.
I haven't looked at the rest of the list because it's hard to view on my iPhone. Just wanted to correct that.

teh yoshi

Oh no. Someone put that I recommend an N48 4x2 for a Gan Air???? No!!!! Have never said that. That cube is so free flowing and light that the highest strength magnet I'd ever use is an N35 4x1.7, opting really for the 4x1.5. The factory magnetized Air SM uses an N50 or 52 3x2. There's no need for more strength than that, imo.
I haven't looked at the rest of the list because it's hard to view on my iPhone. Just wanted to correct that.
Yikes, sorry about that. :( Looking back, I see I misread the description on your video. It said you used "48 N35 4mm x 2mm" and I somehow interpreted that as N48 4x2. I'm real sorry.

Last edited:

DMCubing

Yikes, sorry about that. :( Looking back, I see I misread the description on your video. It said you used "48 N35 4mm x 2mm" and I somehow interpreted that as N48 4x2. I'm real sorry.
No problem. And those were N35 "4x2" from magnets365 for the Gan Air, which actually measure 4x1.7.
I always liked the N48 4x2s in the original Weilong GTS though.

teh yoshi

I got a few new cubes, so I added some more updates and measurements to my spreadsheet. I also made a massive order of cubes that should come in within a week or so, so I should have more measurements handy! Unfortunately, the magnets themselves can't come soon enough!

In the meantime, please let me know if any of you got some plastic measurements, recommendations, or other notes I can add. :]

Duncan Bannon

Nice idea @teh yoshi

I have a Warrior W M. Its my main, I used 4x1.5 N38. Its just slighty stronger than Cubicle Premuim GTS2M Lite. Feel free to ask any more information.

teh yoshi

Nice idea @teh yoshi

I have a Warrior W M. Its my main, I used 4x1.5 N38. Its just slighty stronger than Cubicle Premuim GTS2M Lite. Feel free to ask any more information.
Thanks! And hey, I've magnetized a Warrior W, too, and I love it. It's my immediate backup main next to my GTS2 I also magnetized. I put N42 5x1s in both of them.

I think I'm beginning to like N42 5x1 magnets in almost any 3x3...

Duncan Bannon

They are great magnets. I prefer a weaker feel, so the magnets I used are great. My Warrior W is also great for OH.

chron0s

Got 2x Yuxin Magic 2x2 stickerless from the cubicle and finally had some time to set one up. Spoiler alert, haven't magnetized it yet but wanted to share observations:

NICE cube with very cool design elements. The center pieces have a recessed channel for the springs so you can lube with lubicle black without it seeping out onto the screws and into the cube excessively. One corner has slots for the inner edge pieces - been a while since I opened up a chuwen but I think this is a design element in that 2x2 - no fussing with inner edges slotting into centers, much nicer. The whole thing is easy to lube and assemble.

It's very much in the spirit of the little magic 3x3 - light cube, light pieces, light scratchy feel and fast BUT stickerless is glossy like the Huanglong, it doesn't feel harsh when turning, it comes nicely tensioned out of the box (a bit loose). Point being, It's not a 'budget' 2x2 IMHO even though the LM 3x3 was billed as a budget cube, though that term is meaning less to me these days with the MF3RS/MF3RS2, Yuxin LM 3x3, MF2/MF2S and more performing so well.

I set mine up with black on the core, a decent helping of gravitas on the tracks, and dignitas on the stalk and pieces. Broke that in and made it a bit tighter, cube feels good!

Anyway on to the point of this post - MAGNETS. The little magic 2x2 has what I'll call a 'semi-capped design' - think a chuwen or xinghen with the caps off, the contact areas between the corners remain. But individual faces of the corner are separate 'panels' (think GANS 249) that link together - this allows a stickerless cube, hence the made-up term 'semi' capped.

Impressed to discover that there are recessed areas for magnets where the plastic is thinner in the corners- wow! While it cuts down on options for positioning and diameter, this makes it really easy to position the magnets consistently. The recessed area is 4mm wide so you'll want a magnet thats 4xsomething if you want to use these slots. You can use any thickness and you'll need to glue in the magnets, no holding slot for them, just a landing area thats thinner than the surrounding plastic. I'll add a pic tomorrow.

Immediate magnet that came to mind for me is an N35 4x1 - its a little too light in a xinghen or chuwen but I think with the thinner plastic and speed of this cube its a good starting point. As I mentioned, the recessed areas are 4mm wide so these fit perfectly. Unfortunately I don't have enough to magnetize this cube now, so stand by for impressions once I get some. For a quick swishy cube like this I don't want heavy magnets overpowering it, I just hope these are strong enough to complement the feel of the cube and add some stability, I think they will.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
FWIW: X-man Shadow non-magnetic version does not have slots. The interior of the pieces is set up similarly to a Wuhua v2, although I'm not sure you could fit bigger than 4x1.5 in the corners, 4x2 I'd pretty tight. I'll probably use 4x1. Inside layers could fit as large as 6x2, although I doubt you'd want to. Plastic varies between 0.069" and 0.074" average about 0.071".

teh yoshi

@One Wheel That's really good info, thanks!

I don't have the Shadow yet, but can you tell me if you're measuring the corners as well as the inner cubies and how different they might be? I want to add all this to my spreadsheet.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
@One Wheel That's really good info, thanks!

I don't have the Shadow yet, but can you tell me if you're measuring the corners as well as the inner cubies and how different they might be? I want to add all this to my spreadsheet.

I haven't disassembled the whole thing, but here's the breakdown of what I've got from disassembling the white-blue-orange corner (stickerless puzzle):

Inner slice: 0.071", except white-white is 0.070"

Inner wing-outer wing: 0.070-0.071" on the 'male' side, 0.071-0.072 on the 'female' side.

Outer wing-corner: 0.067" on blue 'male' wing-blue corner, otherwise 0.068-0.071" with no discernible pattern.

UnknownCuber

Yup, tried it on wuque and gts2.
Had some problems (cos partly I'm new) and it's strong enough (as long as you don't drop another mag on an existing one and remove the stray one). It dries quick but needs a lot more (around a drop with a diameter of 3mm). It's so quick drying that I can reassemble the cube after a few minutes after the last mag.(with almost no problems)