• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

noob search and typing help

marcopolo66

WCA
2018BUCK02
Hi

Is there any info on how to use the search engine, as I am having trouble finding what I am looking for? Do I need to enclose words with inverted commas etc ?

Also could you tell me how to type/enter the prime moves of an alg. I tried unsuccessfully to search for this info.

Many thanks

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not really.
The search engine just isn't very good at doing anything.
I usually try to give it as much information, such as who posted, in what thread, when, and a few keywords. Don't give too many keywords otherwise it just doesn't work.

If you're not looking for someone's post, the wiki might be more helpful.

The prime moves of an algorithm are usually denoted using an apostrophe after the move('), although some beginner tutorials use the nonstandard lowercase (i).

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Hi

Is there any info on how to use the search engine, as I am having trouble finding what I am looking for? Do I need to enclose words with inverted commas etc ?

Also could you tell me how to type/enter the prime moves of an alg. I tried unsuccessfully to search for this info.

Many thanks
What exactly are you searching for?

Not really.
The search engine just isn't very good at doing anything.
I usually try to give it as much information, such as who posted, in what thread, when, and a few keywords. Don't give too many keywords otherwise it just doesn't work.

If you're not looking for someone's post, the wiki might be more helpful.

The prime moves of an algorithm are usually denoted using an apostrophe after the move('), although some beginner tutorials use the nonstandard lowercase (i).
If you're looking for posts by a user, the Xenforo search can work better:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/search/
Otherwise the normal main GCSE works better. I'll fix the search, can you give some examples of when you tried to find something but couldn't, and let me know which queries you used?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're looking for posts by a user, the Xenforo search can work better:
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/search/
So one thing that's annoying about that search is if I'm trying to look through a thread for a specific post from a while ago (e.g. a post that either qq or kir made in the random cubing discussion thread with a nice T pure twist alg), I can't specify the thread, and while I can say that it's new than xy, I can't say that it's older than yx.
Also, sometimes when it excludes an important but common search term.
E: or when it doesn't include all of the keywords

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
So one thing that's annoying about that search is if I'm trying to look through a thread for a specific post from a while ago (e.g. a post that either qq or kir made in the random cubing discussion thread with a nice T pure twist alg), I can't specify the thread, and while I can say that it's new than xy, I can't say that it's older than yx.
Also, sometimes when it excludes an important but common search term.
E: or when it doesn't include all of the keywords
Do you know what the specific post was about? You can search for posts by user. If you describe more of what you want I'll see if I can help and make it more clear for you and others.

As for excluding important keywords, can you give an example?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you know what the specific post was about? You can search for posts by user. If you describe more of what you want I'll see if I can help and make it more clear for you and others.

As for excluding important keywords, can you give an example?

The specific post was something "that either qq or kir made in the random cubing discussion thread with a nice T pure twist alg"
Like:
-
<alg>
O.o
Time to start practicing bld
-

When I input:
Search Threads and posts
keywords: Time get BLD
member: qqwref, kirjava
Minimum posts: 1000
Sub Forum: General speedcubing discussion

I'll get the message
The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: BLD

I also get get results that don't have all of the keywords.
In addition, though I can say how new the post is, I can't say how old it is, so I get a bunch of posts from 2015, though I know that the post was at most posted in 2013 if even.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
How sure are you it contains "Time to start practicing bld"? If it was just an alg posted and it was either of those 2 members, I'd scan their post history to see if you can find it that way. This is somewhat of a tough case considering how little content the actual post has.