• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] New to speedsolving.com, not new to cubing!

megand43

Hey guys! My name’s Megan and I first learned to cube when I was about 12 or so and I’m 18 now. Although I’ve been doing it for a while, I haven’t really progressed much. I’ve solely stuck with Rubik’s brands and beginner methods. I mainly do 3x3, I used to do 4x4 but I lost my cube about 2 years ago and forgot how to do it, and I just bought a 2x2 from Walmart the other night and I’m really liking it. My best 3x3 time was somewhere sub 40 back when I was cubing daily but now I’m back to 50 to 1:10 on average. I just bought a MF3RS from cubezz, and a Yu Xin Little Magic along with a YJ GuanPo Plus 2x2 from thecubicle and I’m looking to get a 4x4 soon. Just trying to really get back into cubing and move into more advanced methods. Any advice on switching from beginners method to CFOP for 3x3? (And I will be looking in the forums for help with this also) thanks everyone!

megand43

Welcome to Speedsolving! As for switching check out Paradox Cubing. He has a nice CFOP tutorial series. Consider switching to Roux or ZZ also. For CFOP just learn 4 look last layer and try to “master” f2l. If you need further help with CFOP PM me and I’ll try to help. Check out this thread https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/beginners-guide-to-choosing-a-speedsolving-method.43471/
I really appreciate it! I knew about Roux but I didn’t know about ZZ or Petrus so I think I’ll do some more researching before I decide on a method.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You are welcomed:).
If you want to switch from LBL to CFOP, then the first thing you should learn is F2L.
You should probably watch this video by J perm to have a understanding of basic F2L cases
Once you start using F2L in your solves and start averaging around 45 secs you should start learning the PLL cases and once you start averaging sub-35 start learing the OLL cases.(But it really depends up to you when you want to learn these things).
And I also recommend that you also check out other speedcubing methods like ZZ, Roux etc., as they might suit you better.

Best of luck for your speedcubing journey!!!

Hazel

Premium Member
Welcome to SS!! CFOP will definitely be easier to switch to than Roux or ZZ because of how similar it is to Layer-by-layer, but I definitely do recommend considering Roux or ZZ also. I and many others believe that Roux has more potential for speed than CFOP. Look at Kian Mansour, he's pretty much on the verge of averaging sub-10 on 3x3 one-handed with Roux.
But no matter what you choose, I'm sure you'll love the forum!

WCA
2017WENR01
Hey guys! My name’s Megan and I first learned to cube when I was about 12 or so and I’m 18 now. Although I’ve been doing it for a while, I haven’t really progressed much. I’ve solely stuck with Rubik’s brands and beginner methods. I mainly do 3x3, I used to do 4x4 but I lost my cube about 2 years ago and forgot how to do it, and I just bought a 2x2 from Walmart the other night and I’m really liking it. My best 3x3 time was somewhere sub 40 back when I was cubing daily but now I’m back to 50 to 1:10 on average. I just bought a MF3RS from cubezz, and a Yu Xin Little Magic along with a YJ GuanPo Plus 2x2 from thecubicle and I’m looking to get a 4x4 soon. Just trying to really get back into cubing and move into more advanced methods. Any advice on switching from beginners method to CFOP for 3x3? (And I will be looking in the forums for help with this also) thanks everyone!
CFOP isn't the best with its rotations and stuff. Consider going with ZZ, it is very similar and you don't have to learn the HUGE OLL AND PLL ALGSETS You have to learn ZBLL which has 493 algorithms.

megand43

Just an update! I found my old cubing PB and it was about 49 (not sub 40 like I thought) so I’m super stoked that with my new Yu Xin Little Magic (which I just got in the mail yesterday), I was able to get a 41.68 PB today. I’ve been looking through the methods and I think I’m gonna stick with my choice of CFOP. Main reasons being, I’ve already been picking up F2L, it seems most similar to LBL which I’ve been doing for 6 years now, and my goal isn’t really to ever set a record or anything. I’m just speedcubing for fun and to see what I can do. I appreciate all the responses and advice I’ve gotten! You guys have really been helpful.