• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Logiqx - The progress you have made since you have been practicing 3x3 again is awesome. Those fullstep 10.x, the sub 15 ao12 on film. I'll quote a a conversation with Feliks referring to us old two farts ;) .. "...I think if we combined both of your best attributes, you'd be sub 12 easily...". Personally I think you have the best chance of topping the over 40's overall. I am in awe of your smooth turning and finger control. Your TPS has improved in your latest videos too. I completely approve of the cubing music but I have one huge criticism which needs working on. Buddy, your wine rack is empty!! ;) Love the idea of the oldies PB sheet. Like @Mike Hughey , there are some that I do not remember but anything that motivates us is an awesome plus for me and if there was a facility to enter an approximation and note it so maybe would suffice? Also the ability a link to a video if it was caught on film would be great.

Regarding the wine rack, it's not actually my kitchen... it's an airbnb that I stay in during the working week.

I'll do something about the PB sheet some time next week. :)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
@newtonbase Wow, your memo was ~30s. You could have made sub 90s if you didn't have that long pause.
What's your normal break down for memo / edge / corner?
I have no idea I'm afraid. I always forget to hit the button to time splits so I gave up trying.
This is the 2nd consecutive competition where I have come dead last in skewb. I have competed 5 times in the event and beaten 6 people in total from 372 (not unique competitors).

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Regarding the wine rack, it's not actually my kitchen... it's an airbnb that I stay in during the working week.

I'll do something about the PB sheet some time next week. :)
I'm thinking of all these things you could have columns for on the sheet, maybe it's easier just to have a generic notes column. Things like if you used stackmat, scramble, reconstruction, video link, etc.

I have no idea I'm afraid. I always forget to hit the button to time splits so I gave up trying.
This is the 2nd consecutive competition where I have come dead last in skewb. I have competed 5 times in the event and beaten 6 people in total from 372 (not unique competitors).
I've pretty much decided not to do skewb and pyraminx for the foreseeable future. If I do it in comp, I at least want to do some refresh so I remember the algs I should know, and that's taking focus from things I care about even if it's not much practice time. I'm on the fence with 2x2. I'll probably refresh and do it next time it comes up. My son had mine today and kept asking me to solve it again, and I was really getting some of the PBLs mixed up.

Awesome job @newtonbase! That's inspiring stuff!

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congrats Mark, @newtonbase.

I was taking a part only in 2nd day of the competition. My results look poor: http://cubecomps.com/live.php?cid=2913&compid=46 , becuasue it looks like I did only 1 good solve. :) I'm still learning. In last 3 weeks I did only few solves in big bld due to flew. All solves in 4bld had good memo. In a second I was so close - I skipped one 3cycle - remembered it but I didnt do it.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice job Mark. Shame about the cover incident. Do you practise with mat and cover at home? After my blindfold incident at Worlds I decided to do so before each comp to get in the habit, and these days I do all my 3BLD with mat and cover because it feels wrong not to.

Bad luck about the results Grzegorz but I hope you had fun anyway. 31 is pretty impressive in FMC though!

Last edited:

Shaky Hands

Premium Member
WCA
2015NICH04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've pretty much decided not to do skewb and pyraminx for the foreseeable future. If I do it in comp, I at least want to do some refresh so I remember the algs I should know, and that's taking focus from things I care about even if it's not much practice time. I'm on the fence with 2x2. I'll probably refresh and do it next time it comes up. My son had mine today and kept asking me to solve it again, and I was really getting some of the PBLs mixed up.

I'm also finished with 2x2, Skewb and Pyraminx for the foreseeable future. If I'm going to put the time into practicing an event, it may as well be an event that I enjoy. Also, I have official averages in all 3 of these already.

Congrats Mark, @newtonbase.

I was taking a part only in 2nd day of the competition. My results look poor: http://cubecomps.com/live.php?cid=2913&compid=46 , becuasue it looks like I did only 1 good solve. :) I'm still learning.

That's a really good FMC single. Well done.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice job Mark. Shame about the cover incident. Do you practise with mat and cover at home? After my blindfold incident at Worlds I decided to do so before each comp to get in the habit, and these days I do all my 3BLD with mat and cover because it feels wrong not to.

Shame about the results Grzegorz but I hope you had fun anyway. 31 is pretty impressive in FMC though!
No. I only really practice at work so I don't even use a blindfold. This incident should leave sufficient scars for me to remember in future.
A 2:30 would have got me top 20 for average in the UK.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
31 is pretty impressive in FMC though!

That's a really good FMC single. Well done.
Oh yeah. I've found a skeleton in 10 minutes and it was the same skeleton as the winner had. We were sitting in a opposite corners of the room. Though he had better insertions. Sadly I was mistaken in 2nd solve which was a nightmare scramble.

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel

kbrune

WCA
2012BRUN02
Congrats on your BLD results @newtonbase. Impressive!

I will finally be attending a comp with BLD and Multi in March. I've been finding it difficult to find the motivation to practice BLD. It's so time consuming!

My 3BLD is somewhere around 2:30. Any advice on the road your Memo skills have taken? I've just been trying to speed up memo but so far still at the same plateau. I'm looking forward to a breakthrough!

Reactions: h2f

Jason Green

WCA
2016GREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. I've had a stab at creating the PB sheet and populated it with some data from my phone:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEEV3LObw7cHNW6S_AZdHJWqKLQFoXRW0wwnDneags4/edit?usp=sharing

Use the "filter view" drop-down to choose an event (i.e. arrow next to the the funnel icon).

Send me a PM including your e-mail address if you want to be able to edit the sheet (i.e. add your PBs).
I'm not real sure how to PM on mobile, but please add me too @Logiqx, [email protected]. Thanks!

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not real sure how to PM on mobile, but please add me too @Logiqx, [email protected]. Thanks!

Done!

A few quick notes to everyone regarding usage:

- I've ordered all of the results by time, completely ignoring the event name
- This ensures that the filter views order everyone's times correctly
- It's also moderately interesting to see how different events relate time-wise
- Any times in minutes need to be padded to MM:SS.DD - e.g. 01:30.00

I've added a link in my signature:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XEEV3LObw7cHNW6S_AZdHJWqKLQFoXRW0wwnDneags4/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited: