• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I made a magnetic 4x4 using
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?orderId=86068228000891&productId=32655727710 for outter
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50p...m-Magnet-Rare-Earth-Magnet-4/32655623671.html for inner.

The inner layers are fairly strong but feel better in solves compred to being turned slowly. This has been more successful than the 2x2 I made (half the polariities were wrong, I have fixed it.) Or the Square 1 where the centre caps can't been put back on since the magnets are too far forward.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
What kind of magnets should I use for a WuJi 7x7? I'm thinking of 4x2 N35, but some people have said that 4x2 doesn't fit in the corners. Should I find smaller but stronger that are closest to 4x2 N35 for the corners? Also is 4x2 N35 too strong or weak?

4x2 will not fit in the corners. I used 4x2 n38 on the inner layers and 4x1 n52 on the corners/outermost slice, and if I did it again I wouldn't change anything. The bump on the inner layers is fairly pronounced, but not too much, and the outer layers are subtle, but definitely noticeable. For big cubes I think Chris Tran has said that he prefers using stronger magnets on the inner layers, and I certainly concur. You don't want to move the outside layer and have an inside layer or two come along for the ride.

On the Wuji specifically: be sure to fit one edge together before gluing anything: one of the wing halves doesn't fit a magnet. They put some weird bracing inside the pieces, and you can't make the 4mm magnets line up perfectly in the wings, but based on the finished product you can get close enough. Once you figure out how to do it and have the right magnets the Wuji is a surprisingly easy magnetization project. I did it in about 4-5 hours of work, maybe even less. I started at about 9:30 AM and I was done by 6:00 PM, with several significant interruptions in between.

Good luck!

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
For the Yuexiao Pro, do you yo have to glue the magnets into the slot or will they stay in place without the glue? I might get a few different strengths of magnets to see which one works best if I can.

Hazel

Premium Member
For the Yuexiao Pro, do you yo have to glue the magnets into the slot or will they stay in place without the glue? I might get a few different strengths of magnets to see which one works best if I can.
I'm pretty sure you still need glue, but I've heard it's better to use the other side of the piece because then the magnet is closer to the core, which is better.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
Does anyone know what the best way to remove superglued magnets is? I've read acetone is the most effective but wondering if it will damage the plastic. I tried plying it out with a screwdriver but I just end up damaging the plastic, as it seems quite soft (it's a 50mm cubing classroom).

DMCubing

Does anyone know what the best way to remove superglued magnets is? I've read acetone is the most effective but wondering if it will damage the plastic. I tried plying it out with a screwdriver but I just end up damaging the plastic, as it seems quite soft (it's a 50mm cubing classroom).
You could try soaking the individual, disassembled, cubie pieces in warm soapy water for several hours and see if that will help. Often it will result in loosening up the adhesive.
Acetone will dissolve abs plastic so you have to be really careful if you use it to soften the superglue.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
You could try soaking the individual, disassembled, cubie pieces in warm soapy water for several hours and see if that will help. Often it will result in loosening up the adhesive.
Acetone will dissolve abs plastic so you have to be really careful if you use it to soften the superglue.

Alright then, thanks for the tip I'll try that. If it doesn't work maybe I'll get some acetone and try to be careful. I don't have a very good track record of magnetising cubes, I've had to redo 2/3 ones I've done, lol :(

DMCubing

Alright then, thanks for the tip I'll try that. If it doesn't work maybe I'll get some acetone and try to be careful. I don't have a very good track record of magnetising cubes, I've had to redo 2/3 ones I've done, lol :(
Oh man. Well just be diligent and don't try to do too much too quickly. Work on getting all the edge piece magnets glued correctly and consistently the same, then the corner piece magnets will align properly and have the right polarity.

Rubix Cubix

WCA
2016GLOZ01
Oh man. Well just be diligent and don't try to do too much too quickly. Work on getting all the edge piece magnets glued correctly and consistently the same, then the corner piece magnets will align properly and have the right polarity.

Yeah I think I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing instead of just gluing them in. First time polarity was wrong, this time the corner pieces don't go back together cuz the magnets are in the way. I will make sure to learn from my mistakes!

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Does anyone have experience magnetizing a yuxin huanglong 7x7?
I'd try it if I had one, but I think somebody told me once that the Huanglong was impossible to magnetize (something with the tiles). If you've got the right magnets the Wuji is easy to magnetize, and pretty much perfect once you do.