• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which home PB means the most to you?

Which of these home PBs means the most to you?

• Total voters

FJT97

WCA
2012THIE01
Hi!
This is just for different average sizes, not for single.
For me its the biggest average, cstimer gives me (1000) as I'm usually very inconsistent with my times, so 5 and 12 PBs are just luck.
And would you vote different for different events? If so, please vote for 3x3.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I voted ao50.

I basically agree that small averages are luck-dependent. However, I care about my official times and choose the home average that reflects my level at competitions the most accurately.
After 50 solves I usually lose motivation / get tired so my times suffer a lot and I know that won't happen at comps. ao50/ao100 are the biggest averages I record regularly.
If I just do 12 solves I'm not warmed up. But if I do 50 solves and take the best ao12 in it the times are too good compared to my level.

EDIT: Yes, I would vote differently for different events. What I wrote above applies for both 3x3 and OH, the only events I train somewhat regularly. For other events I would take the biggest average I usually do (for example ao12 for 4x4, ao5 for most, obviously singles for BLD events, etc.).

Hazel

Premium Member
I'd say Ao1000 because I think it gives the most accurate representation of your average solve times, so I'd want that to be consistently low, which would mean I'm faster

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
avg5. it's essentially the best i can possibly do officially, and i don't track mo3, avg50, avg500, or avg1000 because chaotimer is bad

i've also noticed my official single reflects my unofficial avg5, at least a little (did the calculations and it's a 14.27% average disparity)

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Averages of 5/12 are probably the most satisfying, because indeed they are luck-dependent, but also reflect what you're capable of achieving under your best conditions. And they're fun to brag about/ask others about.
However, I voted average of 100, because I find it to be both the easiest and hardest PB to improve.

What I mean is: I feel it's easy in that it's probably the most attainable of the averages. Sometimes you might screw up an average of 12 or 50, but a better average of 100 at least seems like it's always attainable! (Unless you're ~70 solves in or something.)

But it also feels like the hardest, as you can really psyche yourself out if you're doing well, and you have to be consistent to get a decent/good average.

But that's just me, and I have high standards for myself. ;p

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've never done an ao500; I've never even had 500 solves logged on cstimer for one event ever.
I chose ao100; I'm really close to breaking sub-13 (current=13.13) right now and it seems like the most legit average.

If this was OH, I would chose Ao5, since it's just really cool to get really good results I guess.
Feet would be Mo3 since it's just so much faster than what I can get.
Megaminx it's ao12. I don't know why these are all different.

I don't really even do 50 solves for other events, so my ao12 represents the consistency that I can achieve.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What really matters to me are average of 5 and average of 100 and 1000. Average of 5 is cool because it shows what you're theoretically capable of in competition, whereas average of 100 or 1000 usually take a long time to finish (especially for long events), so they feel really satisfying when they're PBs. They're especially satisfying if I haven't done a big average in a while, because they usually beat my PB by a lot then.

Iggy

WCA
2012SEVE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Avg100 because although I don't do them very often, it's small enough to be done in a relatively short session, but big enough to roughly determine what I average. They can be luck dependent, but I tend to classify myself as averaging around X after getting a few avg100s around X

RonM

I chose Ao50 because I'm slow and an Ao100 takes me all day so my Ao100 tends to look like a bunch of Ao12s combined throughout the day, but I can typically find enough time to sit and do an Ao50 when my wife is home.

My favorite stat to track though is my standard deviation.

As a new speed cuber I find that through every big average (Ao50+ for me) that my times start to drop then level out towards the end as I grow accustomed to using a faster TPS than for slow solving and as the things I practiced during slow solving are reinforced in my speed solves. So, for me currently, I've found that my average doesn't matter as much as my ability to lower my times "once in a while" and then make that "once in a while" the standard. Of course, this is just my anecdotal experience speaking.

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
I like ao5 because it shows how well you would do in a theoretical competition. Also, it makes me feel faster than I am when I get a good 5 solves. :) The bigger averages are definitely a more accurate representation of how fast you actually are, though.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like ao5 because it shows how well you would do in a theoretical competition.
I don't understand why people give this reason. Your PB ao5 is the fastest ao5 you ever did, right? And that's looking at any consecutive 5 out of all those 1000s of solves you did? You'd need a lot of luck to repeat that in a real (not fantasy) competition. If you sit down now and just do 5 solves, your result is much more likely to be somewhere in the region of your global average, so that's a better indicator of your real (not fantasy) level.

It can happen of course. I got overall PB ao5 in 5x5 at my last comp, but it was freak good form and luck, and I would not claim that's my actual level. Usually I am 10-15 seconds slower.