• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Block Keeper: Cross platform desktop timer

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Damn laptop manufacturers, we don't care about faces, we care about our cubes. I encounter that issue as well unfortunately, but if you use a seperate webcam your all good. Yet to test with a completely seperate camera (like a camcorder) to see if that works.

Sneak peak:
Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 9.09.46 am.png

evileli

WCA
2011ROSC01
Is it possible that the download for linux64 version is not working properly? Just getting the license files here.

Nice work by the way ;)

MuckPie

WCA
2008YARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would it be possible to input times manually? Sometimes I like to use stackmat timer, but I love the interface of Block Keeper and it's a great way to keep track of times.

I skimmed over the posts, but didn't see anything about it, so my apologies if it has already been mentioned.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Would it be possible to input times manually? Sometimes I like to use stackmat timer, but I love the interface of Block Keeper and it's a great way to keep track of times.

I skimmed over the posts, but didn't see anything about it, so my apologies if it has already been mentioned.

Ultimately, I plan to add Stackmat input, but I'm a bit hesitant to implement that without getting a timer myself and making sure it works. I hope to purchase one within the next month (pretty excited for that), and have it working before version 1.0. I've considered implementing manual time input but haven't done it just yet. I'll try and fit it into the next version.

MuckPie

WCA
2008YARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ultimately, I plan to add Stackmat input, but I'm a bit hesitant to implement that without getting a timer myself and making sure it works. I hope to purchase one within the next month (pretty excited for that), and have it working before version 1.0. I've considered implementing manual time input but haven't done it just yet. I'll try and fit it into the next version.

Hey, I appreciate that! It's totally understandable that you would want to test it on your own. Looking forward to future updates.

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried to import my cstimer session, I renamed the txt file to JSON but I couldn't select the event to replace the session and now I can't select any session or save any times at all :s
Captura de pantalla 2017-02-11 a la(s) 20.17.24.png

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hmmmm. My import worked fine. Can you send me the csTimer txt file and your Block Keeper puzzles.json file? It's located at /Users/You/Library/Application Support/Block Keeper. I'll see what's up and try to fix it for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Isaac VM

WCA
2016MUNO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmmmm. My import worked fine. Can you send me the csTimer txt file and your Block Keeper puzzles.json file? It's located at /Users/You/Library/Application Support/Block Keeper. I'll see what's up and try to fix it for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks! I'll be sending you the files to your email!

EDIT: I can't send you the puzzles.json because the size is "is" 0 bytes and gmail can't attach it :/

Last edited:

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Block Keeper 0.3.0 is out and adds a lot of your requested features.
http://dallasmcneil.com/projects/blockkeeper/
  • ADDED random state scrambles, rather than random move scrambles
  • ADDED drawn scrambles for current scramble for most events
  • ADDED manual add time button
  • ADDED option to change number of MBLD scrambles
  • ADDED addition menu items, reflecting shortcuts
  • ADDED more shortcuts
    • 'Control + T' to manually add a new time
    • 'Control + S' to generate a new scramble
    • 'Control + P' to open preferences
  • ADDED option to use split controls to stop timer as well as start it
  • CHANGED graph colours to be more subtle
  • CHANGED csTimer imports now accept .txt files in addition to .json files
Next update, I'm tackling the UI and themes head on. Some parts of the UI are a little off or not up to scratch. I really want to smooth all that out and improve the look. This is also a great time to implement more themes and I'll try to offer up the ability to create your own themes while I'm at it.

As always, please send me your feedback, It's been outstanding so far. :)

Just a quick note, I haven't updated the guide and will likely not do so until final release as they take up time and need constant changing with the UI adjustments.

EDIT: Stackmat Gen 4 timer is in the post. Expect support in the next version

Last edited:

Fear

What do the graphs look like? I'm not in a position to download it ATM and I'm impatient.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Here is what the graphs look like. They are distribution, event trend (between sessions within an event) and session trend.

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 7.27.20 am.png Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 7.27.26 am.png Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 7.27.12 am.png

Fear

You should add lines for ao100/1000. Maybe sacrificing mo3 because not many people use that. (example: Reddit flairs usually go single/ao5/ao12/ao100/ao1000 or something similar, usually just ao50/ao100 at the end instead of ao100/1000. But still, usually mo3 isn't included.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
You should add lines for ao100/1000. Maybe sacrificing mo3 because not many people use that. (example: Reddit flairs usually go single/ao5/ao12/ao100/ao1000 or something similar, usually just ao50/ao100 at the end instead of ao100/1000. But still, usually mo3 isn't included.

Ao100 details appear once 100 solves are in the session. You can see this when you start a new session and only the time is visible and as more times are added, more stats(Mo3, Ao5 etc) appear. I think adding Ao50 would be valuable so I'll likely do that. I include Mo3 for larger events like 7x7x7 where in competition there is only 3 solves, hence a Mo3. That is the only way they could get that stat without calculating it manually within the timer. If anything, it never hurt to have a bit more information.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
I must say a great timer. Video is the best bonus. Is there any possibility for audio also? Anyway, great work :)

Thanks. It's possible to record audio but they won't be recorded together and I would need to do a lot of work to merge them into a single video file. Plus the audio would likely just be clicking which is good if you want to know when your turning but doesn't really add a lot. Plus if you use a stackmat timer, the mic will be used for getting data input from that so the mic would be unusable there. I like the idea though, but there are just some conflicts. :)