• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing History

WCA
2014XINR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm planning to make this sort of "speedcubing history summarized" videos, where I highlight some of the biggest events in speedcubing. So seeing as how there's a bunch of people on here that stuck with cubing from the very beginning, what would you say are considered as some of the biggest event that occurred throughout the years?

Edit:
This took me a decent while, and editing isn't perfect due to stupid program crashing several time -> frustration and carelessness, but it'll suffice for now.

Hope you guys enjoy :)

WCA
2013BARK01
I wasn't exactly a cuber from the beginning, (although I started before a lot of you n00bs in 2012), but I think a few things that changed cubing dramatically were the release of the Moyu Weilong (mid 2013) and the rise of Feliks Zemdegs. The Weilong kinda was seen as the Zhanchi Killer iirc, and Feliks Zemdegs has held the WR average for over 6 years straight and was the first 2-time world champion.

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
Invention of the cube
Mass production by seven towns
World's 1982
Yahoo "speedsolving forums"
Worlds 2003
Cube stores(not sure if this the correct chronological order)
Dayan
Feliks zemdegs
Alex lau(roux popularization)
Moyu
QiYi
Chris Tran(ZZ-CT and cubicle labs)

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Invention of the cube
Mass production by seven towns
World's 1982
Yahoo "speedsolving forums"
Worlds 2003
Cube stores(not sure if this the correct chronological order)
Dayan
Feliks zemdegs
Alex lau(roux popularization)
Moyu
QiYi
Chris Tran(ZZ-CT and cubicle labs)

One more event would be:
Matias Kuti being banned from the WCA
this was far before I started cubing, but I heard it was quite a big deal back then.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
One more event would be:
Matias Kuti being banned from the WCA
this was far before I started cubing, but I heard it was quite a big deal back then.

There are other high profile bans. Such as Hayian Zhuang and Sebastian Pino Castillo (his clock world records were wiped. Look it up if you want to know why) they also held world records.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
Finger tricks.
Jessica Fridrich / the method she helped develop.
Inspection time.
Modern timers.
"Average" of 5.
WCA forming.
All (standard) single 3x3x3 world records.

WCA
2014XINR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How couldn't you mention Feliks lost the WC2011. If you look back at the old predictions everyone expected him to.

All old cubes weren't that bad. The corner cutting was worse. My F-II isn't super slow or hard to turn. It pops and can't reverse corner cut. That's biggest difference.

I didn't mention Feliks losing in WC2011 because I didn't think it was significant of an event enough. It's like saying "Feliks failed to get WR on this easy scramble at this arbitrary competition." Yeah people expected him to win, but he didn't, so I chose not to include it.

And the whole "bad turning" thing was obviously an exaggeration; it's just that the Guhong was a pretty revolutionary turning point of speedcubing tech, so I chose to include it in :p

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't mention Feliks losing in WC2011 because I didn't think it was significant of an event enough.

I disagree, it was an huge upset. It's worlds, not an arbitrary comp. It was his peak of dominance, no one thought he could be beaten. He was about 2 second faster than everyone else (might be exaggerating but he was the fastest). It's not comparable to him failing an easy world record. It's significant since he was clearly the fastest by a long way and lost. Now he just isn't as far ahead as he was back then.

WCA
2014XINR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I disagree, it was an huge upset. It's worlds, not an arbitrary comp. It was his peak of dominance, no one thought he could be beaten. He was about 2 second faster than everyone else (might be exaggerating but he was the fastest). It's not comparable to him failing an easy world record. It's significant since he was clearly the fastest by a long way and lost. Now he just isn't as far ahead as he was back then.

To each their own I suppose, but I still don't think it compares up to other events I've mentioned. He's still just another normal member of the cubing community, albeit one of the fastest, but a normal member nonetheless. I only really showed the ones that really showed an impact, and I just don't think someone who was favorite to win losing is a significant enough impact. Maybe if he won, I would've included it in there but he didn't, so I chose not to.