• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I go as far as saying that regardless of the price I consider it the best 4x4 on the market currently.
Of course that's only me though.

There is a problem of internal pieces popping out frequently but they're easy to put back in and as far as I know missing internal pieces are no cause of +2 or DNF.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I go as far as saying that regardless of the price I consider it the best 4x4 on the market currently.
Of course that's only me though.

There is a problem of internal pieces popping out frequently but they're easy to put back in and as far as I know missing internal pieces are no cause of +2 or DNF.

It's possible the one I tried was too tight. It turned ok, but the cube had very little if any flex, and as I recall corner cutting was sub par.

One thing I've noticed is that I think a lot of what you pay for in more expensive cubes is quality control. I've never handled a Gans, but I'm guessing that aside from setup the puzzles themselves are very consistent, whereas if you look at a cheaper cube like a thunderclap or a guanlong one might be fantastic and the next one terrible, with most at some point in between.

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
which 4x4 cubes are now good? I didnt think about it since 2014 and im not on time with 4x4 news...
I think the Moyu Aosu is considered the gold standard, but I personally prefer the smaller size, lower price point, and better inner layer speed of my cyclone boys g4.

yes, the Aosu is considered the industry standard for 4x4, but most people are changing their main to the YuXin Blue. The Aosu will have internal pops, locks, and the center caps fall of during a solve. I have both cubes and I get really frustrated with the Aosu.

I recommend the YuXin Blue. It's also much less expensive. However, be careful when you are assembling/disassembling it. it's very delicate.

Ittay

Hi,

In the attached image, there is a corner that is "flipped", but in a way I can't figure out. It is as if the stickers were swapped.

The cube is solved except for the corners. The ones to the right and left are swapped and the opossite is also "flipped". At the bottom a similar situation with two adjacent corners "flipped" and two swapped.

How to solve this? Note that I noticed this when I created the first layer and in that case all 4 corners were "flipped". I couldn't figure out how to solve this so I solved the rest of the cube, hoping things will sort themselves out. (Could it be that someone swapped the stickers?)

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2016-10-23 at 08.05.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2016-10-23 at 08.05.29.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 11
D

Daniel Lin

yeah the centers are wrong. Going clockwise, it should be red white blue, not red white green

Ittay

yes. turns out my youngest played with it and it fell and some caps came off and she put them back...

D

Daniel Lin

do fast 4x4 yau users do half centers every single solve? or do they do it sometimes depending on the case?

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
I hear so, but I'm not sure many use it productively.

Was it Sebastian Weyer who posted a ludicrous average a couple of weeks ago with OLL parity in every solve?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my guess would be that its avoidance if PLL parity, because there are 2 main OLL parities (1 that switches opposite edges and 1 that doesn't). I guess if you can tell from a parity'd OLL whether or not you'll have a PLL parity you can use one of the OLL parities to also prevent PLL parity. Sounds like some serious ZBLL recognition is required though lol

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
my guess would be that its avoidance if PLL parity, because there are 2 main OLL parities (1 that switches opposite edges and 1 that doesn't). I guess if you can tell from a parity'd OLL whether or not you'll have a PLL parity you can use one of the OLL parities to also prevent PLL parity. Sounds like some serious ZBLL recognition is required though lol

That makes sense, but pretty sure it's OLL parity that can be avoided and it's something to do with counting edges. When you insert edges using F or B during edge pairing I assume this affects the count, abit like counting cards in blackjack. I've heard about it, but never paid any attention!!!

Theres only one OLL parity, which flips one edge, isn't there?

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
That makes sense, but pretty sure it's OLL parity that can be avoided and it's something to do with counting edges. When you insert edges using F or B during edge pairing I assume this affects the count, abit like counting cards in blackjack. I've heard about it, but never paid any attention!!!

Theres only one OLL parity, which flips one edge, isn't there?

I can't type out the algorithm i use (cuz i don't have a cube on me) but i use the OLL parity in which the position of the two edges (LU and RU) on the left and right are maintained. The primary OLL parity alg is the one that switches these two edges. But yes all OLL parity algs "flip" the FU edge.

and i guess the counting edges thing makes sense, but it sounds like so tedious lol

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
parity avoidance is a thing?
Yeah, OLL parity happens when the wings have odd permutation parity, which happens when the total number of inner layer quarter turns to get to that state from a solved cube is odd.

If you trace out the wing cycles like you would in 4BLD during inspection, you can tell if the scramble did an even or odd number of inner layer quarter turns, and you can use that to ensure that when you finish solving centers the number is even, thus avoiding OLL parity - after centers are solved you can stop caring because then there's no reason to use an alg which has an odd number of inner layer quarter turns unless you're solving OLL parity.

It's been known for years, but it's really difficult and very few people are inclined (or able) to do it.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, OLL parity happens when the wings have odd permutation parity, which happens when the total number of inner layer quarter turns to get to that state from a solved cube is odd.

If you trace out the wing cycles like you would in 4BLD during inspection, you can tell if the scramble did an even or odd number of inner layer quarter turns, and you can use that to ensure that when you finish solving centers the number is even, thus avoiding OLL parity - after centers are solved you can stop caring because then there's no reason to use an alg which has an odd number of inner layer quarter turns unless you're solving OLL parity.

It's been known for years, but it's really difficult and very few people are inclined (or able) to do it.

Thanks Bob, very informative and clear. So very much like counting cards in blackjack, especially the "really difficult and few people are inclined to do it" bit!!!!