• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Remember parts outside of Algorithm?

Sabaja

Hi
My problem is remembering the bits outside of the algorithm

Ie I have learnt all the RURs and Rurus and Ururus etc. But in the F2l when they are put together to make a complete alg. For an edge and corner they are often preceded by a D or a Y' or U'. Sometimes they are inbetween the brackets as well. This is confusing as I often forget to do a d move first or a u' first(taken from Badmephisto site pdf). I know it sounds stupid but those one letter bits are harder to remember than the Bracketed algorithms bit.

Any help in remembering them is good.Thanks.

Rnewms

WCA
2013NEWM01
Try to understand why each algorithm works. Watch the corner and edge pair up when you execute it. The only difference in that preceding move is the alignment of the U face (AUF). You can ignore it if you understand where the pieces in the U layer need to be with respect to the open slot. And it's always good to practice these cases from different angles.

Some of those cases have better algorithms, so I suggest you use more sources.
For example: The first case for "Edge in Place, Corner in U face"
R U' R B' R' B R'

Last edited:

Sabaja

Thanks. I am now looking at bottom free corner in relation to first move either y or u or d but they both look similar so its not helping that much.(free corner in same place whether I move u' or d first). Im still stuck with not knowing. I thought badmephistos were the optimum algorithms? Arent these the best? Thanks.

Rnewms

WCA
2013NEWM01
For the weird cases, these are better for me:
1st - y F' (U' L' U L) F (L' U L)
2nd - F (U R U' R') F' (R U' R')

Last 2 cases for "Edge and Corner in place":
1st - F' (L ' U2 L) F (R U R')
2nd - y F (R U2 R') F' (L' U' L)

Many F2L algs reduce hard cases into easy cases, so you just need to see how the hard cases are just easy cases with setup moves. If you watch yourself do them repeatedly, you'll eventually remember how to begin each case.

Last edited:

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks. I am now looking at bottom free corner in relation to first move either y or u or d but they both look similar so its not helping that much.(free corner in same place whether I move u' or d first). Im still stuck with not knowing. I thought badmephistos were the optimum algorithms? Arent these the best? Thanks.

Which case #'s are you struggling with out of these? If you give me a list, I will respond in each case with an algorithm that is at least as good and does not require rotations or d' moves or anything

Sabaja

Thanks. When I look at two cases. Reposition edge and flip corner one startscwith a d and the other with a u.

d r'u'ru' r'u'r
U' rur'u rur'

Now both cases look very similar. But when I do both a d and a u and inspect the unsolved bottom corner both first moves look the same and either one could be right to me. There are lots of similar ones. Am I better offjust learning algs with no d or y moves and I will remember these quicker. It seems I cant move forward because of them.

Rnewms

WCA
2013NEWM01
When learning them, you can do that first U or d move and memorize that position along with the rest of the algorithm. The only purpose of the U or d at the beginning is to show that the position in the image is different from the position you use the algorithm. Instead, you can apply the U or d move from the position in the image and see what the case looks like before you use the algorithm. You don't need to memorize that extra move. Do the algorithm in reverse and don't use the U or d move; remember that position and the alg without the first rotation or U/d move.

Alternatively, you could practice intuitive F2L and learn algorithms later.

Last edited:

Sabaja

Ah good point. I was looking at the position before and trying to remember it like that. So I will try that and see if it works.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
If you're struggling with F2L algorithms, have you tried doing F2L intuitively? Spend some time thinking about what you're trying to do and then work out moves to:
  1. Bring both he corner and edge into the top layer
  2. Separate the corner and edge
  3. Pair them together in the correct orientation
  4. Insert the pair into the slot.
The algorithms will make a lot more sense once you've figured out how to solve it yourself.

Sabaja

Ive tried doing it now without the d y u moves so setting up the cube like that and it does make more sense as to positioning in relation to free corner. The one thing thats really hard is the y' moves. They seem to make it difficult. How do ther speedcubers feel about rhe y moves? Is it a problem?