• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Status
Not open for further replies.

samchoochiu

WCA
2010CHIU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
GuHong V2 with no torpedoes= GuHong V1?
I was wondering if the GuHongv2 will be exactly the same as a V1 GuHong if I just took out the torpedoes. I was thinking about buying a GuHong V1 because I only have bought 1 GuHong in my life (it is the original GuHong that are supposedly better) and I wanted to see if there was a difference. I will be getting the GuHong V2 no matter what but will I need a GuHong V1 solely for the purpose of its feel? Or can I get the exact same feel as a GuHong V2 without torps?

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
any opinions on the best 5x5, pyraminx, and megaminx? any opinions on which i should get first? also, how does the megaminx rank in terms of difficulty? (ive never gotten to play around with either a pyraminx or megaminx but can solve the 2x2 - 5x5 (~30 sec 3x3))

thanks in advance :)

5x5 - V-Cube or Shengshou
Pyraminx: Mefferts or QJ
Megaminx: Mefferts or Mf8

Depends on you and your budget, really. Megaminx is fun and really easy, and you just need to learn a few algs to be able to solve LL, more if you want to do it faster.

Hodari

any opinions on the best 5x5, pyraminx, and megaminx? any opinions on which i should get first? also, how does the megaminx rank in terms of difficulty? (ive never gotten to play around with either a pyraminx or megaminx but can solve the 2x2 - 5x5 (~30 sec 3x3))

thanks in advance :)

If you know how to solve a 3x3, you basically know how to solve a megaminx. There's a lot more pieces and colors to keep track of, but that's about it. Everything up until the last layer is basically the same as cross + F2L(the extra sides can actually be an advantage at times here as it can make it easier to pair corner and edge pieces up). The last layer can be done using as few as 4 algorithms, all of which are the same or very slightly modified versions of ones you know from 3x3 as well. Of course, if you want to be able to do the last layer more quickly, there are a lot more algorithms you CAN learn, but for a beginner's method, these are sufficient.

That being said, it is definitely worth trying and I've always liked it myself. If it looks interesting to you, go ahead and try it. I'll also add that once you know how to solve the megaminx, since you already know how to solve a 5x5 as well, you just have to combine these 2 and you'd be able to solve a gigaminx as well(or any larger size minx).

YYZ

how to assemble alpha v cube?

Hello, my alpha v cube has just arrived, it didnt come with any instructions on assembly can anyone give my a good web address or just type reply, what you have to do, i have searched google and youtube not much has come up. :confused:

Olji

Premium Member
WCA
2010JONS01
Hello, my alpha v cube has just arrived, it didnt come with any instructions on assembly can anyone give my a good web address or just type reply, what you have to do, i have searched google and youtube not much has come up. :confused:

Take a center piece, put in a small washer with the smooth side down, then put a big washer on a screw (With the smooth side facing AWAY from the screwhead), followed by the spring on top of it, put it down into the center and screw that piece into the core, repeat five times, then assemble like a normal cube, put on caps, sticker it, maybe a little lube and/or Memory mod, and enjoy.

So the setup inside the center will be like:

Cap - Screwhead - big washer - spring - small washer - end of center piece - screw in the core

Last edited:

Lanttikasa

hey, i bought my guhong and zhanchi like 2 weeks ago, now when i lubed it 4 days ago and looked at core, it has hair and black **** all over the place. i cleaned it and lubed again, and after 2 days there was more hair and **** still.. how do i prevent from this happen to me? thanks.

AndersB

Premium Member
WCA
2011BERG02
YouTube
Visit Channel
hey, i bought my guhong and zhanchi like 2 weeks ago, now when i lubed it 4 days ago and looked at core, it has hair and black **** all over the place. i cleaned it and lubed again, and after 2 days there was more hair and **** still.. how do i prevent from this happen to me? thanks.
Hard to avoid really. Sticky lubes tend to draw more hair though, from my experience. My cubes that are lubed with Maru have less hair then when I had vaseline in them...

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01

Do you have indoor animals? I haven't had any issues without "outside" crud getting in my cubes. My main issues are dried residue from old lube and dust from normal wear of the plastic.

skeletonboy

GuHong V2 with no torpedoes= GuHong V1?
I was wondering if the GuHongv2 will be exactly the same as a V1 GuHong if I just took out the torpedoes. I was thinking about buying a GuHong V1 because I only have bought 1 GuHong in my life (it is the original GuHong that are supposedly better) and I wanted to see if there was a difference. I will be getting the GuHong V2 no matter what but will I need a GuHong V1 solely for the purpose of its feel? Or can I get the exact same feel as a GuHong V2 without torps?

There is the slightest difference. The V2 has the rough "torpedo entry gap" sanded down, so even a 48 point edge mod would do almost no good on a V2. The bottom end of the corner stocks has a smoother surface, this is because they designed the corner so the torpedos can run through it smoother. Some V1 Guhongs have very rough surface on the end of the corner stalks and could be sanded down. V2 has it already sanded down.

So,really, the V2 might feel the slightest more smoother or maybe even a tad faster because of the excess plastic removal.

Achifaifa

I'm currently trying to improve with the 4x4 and I have couple of questions: ¿Is there a method or a general tip for the centers? I've also developed a method by myself to pair 2 edges at the same time, but it's inneficient as hell (Mainly because of my lack of perception) and I've only improved my marks a little. ¿Any method I can use?

I've seen couple of videos with example solves but I just can't understand a thing with the way some guys explain it, ¿Is there something written about it? And also, ¿Is there a topic about this? I've searched for it and found nothing, so just in case...

Status
Not open for further replies.