• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
From FMC200, which was considered as a tough scramble by Mirek Goljan.

Scramble: F2 U2 D2 F' B D U' B F R B R' U L D2 L D U' L U2 L' F B2 D2 B' L2 F B2 L' F'
Solution: U2 F U' D' L B' D' B D' L U' L2 U' L D' L' U2 L D F U2 F U2 F' (24 htm)

Pre-scramble: F

2x2x2 block: U2 F U'
Siamese 2x2x2: D' L B' D' B D'
More 1x2x2: L U' L' U
Orient edges: U' L' U * L
All but 3 corners: F U2 F U2 F2
Pre-move correction: F

Insert at *: U2 L D' L' U2 L D L'

Last edited:

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have also tried scramble #200 a while ago, here's my almost linear try:

Solution: L' F B U2 B' D2 L2 D' R' D L2 D' R2 U2 F2 B F' U F B U L U' L' B2 (25 HTM)

2x2x2: L' F B U2 B' D.
2x2x3: R U2 F2
F2L minus slot: B F' U F B'
Leave 3 corners: B2 U L U' L' B2 (1 move cancelled)

Insert D L2 D' R' D L2 D' R at the dot to cancel 2 moves.

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Solution: L' F B U2 B' D2 L2 D' R' D L2 D' R2 U2 F2 B F' U F B U L U' L' B2 (25 HTM)

Quite elegant finish (the last step)! I'm impressed.

You beat all participants in FMC200 with an (almost) linear solve! I needed near 1-hour to get my solution above actually, after much trial and error.

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Quite elegant finish (the last step)! I'm impressed.

You beat all participants in FMC200 with an (almost) linear solve! I needed near 1-hour to get my solution above actually, after much trial and error.

I was just lucky that I didn't face any tricky situations. :) That last step is a common trick in Heise method that I use often to build a 1x2x2-block on top, check F2 conjugation here, but you can also use it as an optimal F2L-alg. Now it just happened to solve both. :)

undick

WCA
2010HAKI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Scramble from Biweekly Forum Competition#3 in Indonesia Cubing Forum (rubikku.ning.com)

Scramble : U B' F L2 D2 U' B2 F L' F' U2 B U2 R D R D2 U2 B' D2 U' B' F' D F

Solution : B L' B2 L' B2 L2 D L B R B' D' R D' F D' B' D F' D2 R' U' B' U B R B' (27 moves)

2x2x3 : B L' B2 L' B2 L2 D L (8/8)
Finish F2L : B R B' D' R D2 * B' D' (8/16)
Leave 3 corner : R' U' B' U B R (6/22)
AUF : B' (1/23)

Insert at * : D F D' B' D F' D' B (4/27) cancel 4 moves

Cielo

WCA
2008LUYU01
I didn't realize there is fmc in the weekly competition here until I see this thread…
I participated in the last two competitions on fmc.mustcube.net and got a 33f and a 29f.

But I think it's lucky for me to get a sub-30 solution, because I don't have a good method to solve the last layer. Sometimes I have to use OLL + PLL.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Uhm, erm, I didn't know that there was an FMC thread.
So I'll just post a cool beans FMC solve I did....

Ranzha V. Emodrach said:
Okay, I never do FMC, but I just got this awesome scramble and decided to FMC it.
Scramble: U F2 R2 D2 F2 D' R F2 U F2 U' R' F2 R2 D' U B.
Scramble with W/G U/F.

Solve:
2x2x2 block: (x2' y') R' L2 D2 -- 3 moves
2x3x3 block: (x') U F2 L F2 L' -- 5 moves
3rd pair: (z' y2) R U' R (y) L' U L -- 6 moves
4th pair + OLL: U2 (y' x) R2 U R U2 (x') U' F R2 U R' U R U2 R' -- 14 moves
PLL: (x) U2 r' U' r U2 l' U R' U' R2 D' -- 11 moves, optimal PLL.

39 moves, HTM. My best so far. ^_^.

EDIT: Added parentheses around rotations and movecounts after each step.

I just had a question: "Am I doin' it right?"
Am I on the right track to FMC?

Last edited:

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Ranzha V. Emodrach said:
Okay, I never do FMC, but I just got this awesome scramble and decided to FMC it.
Scramble with W/G U/F.

Solve:

Your block building seems to be quite efficient, so you are definitely on the right track. :)

OLL and PLL are seldom useful for FMC, so you should try to learn more advanced methods to finish your solve. I usually try to solve the cube intuitively until I have only 3 corners left, which can be solved with a short commutator and most of the time you can cancel some moves if you solve those corners somewhere in the middle of your solve with an insertion.

There are also other useful techniques such as pseudo blocks and pre-moves, which are really useful and you should try to learn to use those if you already haven't.

Also I find that using rotations makes it easier to make mistakes, especially during insertions, so I try to avoid using those. I guess it also looks neater. :)

Keep practicing! :)

Stini

WCA
2007TIIN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nothing special really, but I think this is my first sub-30 linear solve (I don't practice linear solving much, so I haven't got any lucky solves). I spent a bit less than 2 minutes for the whole solution.

Scramble: D R' B2 U' F' R D' U2 L' B' U' D' R F' U2 F' R F' D L2 R D2 U2 L' R

Solution: R D' U2 R2 U2 B L B' R' B' F U2 F' B L' B' U' z R U' L' U u R2 u' R2 U2 L U' R2 (29 HTM)

Double x-cross: R D' U2 R2 U2 B L B' R' B'
Leave 3-corners: F U2 F' B L' B' U' (more obvious after L U)
Solve the corners: z R U' L' U u R2 u' R2 U2 L U' R2

The corner alg cancels two moves, so actually the solution is 27 moves, but I noticed that too late. :p

undick

WCA
2010HAKI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't realize there is fmc in the weekly competition here until I see this thread…
I participated in the last two competitions on fmc.mustcube.net and got a 33f and a 29f.

But I think it's lucky for me to get a sub-30 solution, because I don't have a good method to solve the last layer. Sometimes I have to use OLL + PLL.

I've got 28 on 1-hour llimit fmc.mustcube last week. My first sub-30 on fmc.mustcube. FMC is rock!!.

Still learning more officient blockbuilding and last layer.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Ranzha V. Emodrach said:
Scramble with W/G U/F.

Solve:

Your block building seems to be quite efficient, so you are definitely on the right track. :)

OLL and PLL are seldom useful for FMC, so you should try to learn more advanced methods to finish your solve. I usually try to solve the cube intuitively until I have only 3 corners left, which can be solved with a short commutator and most of the time you can cancel some moves if you solve those corners somewhere in the middle of your solve with an insertion.

There are also other useful techniques such as pseudo blocks and pre-moves, which are really useful and you should try to learn to use those if you already haven't.

Also I find that using rotations makes it easier to make mistakes, especially during insertions, so I try to avoid using those. I guess it also looks neater. :)

Keep practicing! :)

Thanks for the advice! I kind of figured OLL/PLL is not an efficient way for FMC< and I didn't really know anything else.
I NEVER, EVER do block-building, so this trial was cool since I had a lot of breathing space.

I like using rotations, and I made sure I wrote rotations down and checked them for the correct notation (x from x', e.g.). I made sure that I checked orientation of the cube (say, U/F W/G to U/F R/B) if I had to switch a base colour, as it appears I did twice in my solve. Also, cancelling moves are koo too.

I'mma learn CLL/ELL, COLL, and perhaps MGLS this summer. Time will tell fo sho!

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The last week's FMC ( fmc.mustcube.net ) was quite high-level! Almost all participants got sub-30...

Here is my first sub-30 solution in 1-hr limit (July 25, 2009). That was my 4th FMC.

Scramble: L2 R D2 R2 L2 F D U' B2 L2 B D' L' U' F2 U2 L B D' B R2 D' U R L'
Solution: U L' U L2 D' F' U F' z B2 R' B' R2 U' R U B' U B U L U L' U2 F' U B' U' F U2 (29 htm)

1x2x2 block: U L' U L2
2x2x2 block: D' F' U F'
2x2x3 block: (z) B2 R2
Orient edges: R B' R2 U' R
F2L minus 1 slot: U B'
Finish F2L: U B U B'
Solve edges: B L U L' U' B'
Corner OLL: B U' F' U B' U' F
AUF: U2

Nothing special, I was just lucky. In fact the next sub-30 appeared after 4 months (FMC277).

undick

WCA
2010HAKI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to ask about premove.

How do you know with some premove you will get better blockbuilding moves? i mean not a premove for blockbuilding, but premove as a part of blockbuilding.

i really stuck.

Last edited:

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
I want to ask about premove.

How do you know with some premove you will get better blockbuilding moves? i mean not a premove for blockbuilding, but premove as a part of blockbuilding.

i really stuck.

Hi,

Pre-moves, or sets of pre-moves can be found using NISS.
For example: If a move makes a pair on the inverse scramble, the inverse move as pre-scramble will generate a pair on the normal scramble. And vice versa.
The same holds for sequences of moves that create blocks.

So shortly: useful pre-moves for the normal scramble can be found with the inverse scramble!

Gus

undick

WCA
2010HAKI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,

For example: If a move makes a pair on the inverse scramble, the inverse move as pre-scramble will generate a pair on the normal scramble. And vice versa.

So shortly: useful pre-moves for the normal scramble can be found with the inverse scramble!

Gus

Oh yeah, of course i'm already understand about that. But, in some of solution, i found that premove not generate a pair. Only change the colour of cubies at a place. i really didn't know about "how do you know the cubies in normal scramble, change to potential cubies in inverse scramble/after premove?".

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Hi,

Gus

Oh yeah, of course i'm already understand about that. But, in some of solution, i found that premove not generate a pair. Only change the colour of cubies at a place. i really didn't know about "how do you know the cubies in normal scramble, change to potential cubies in inverse scramble/after premove?".

I sometimes use premoves when I have an F2L composed of pseudo blocks. For example, if you've completed a 2x2x3 and then you see a nice 1x2x2 which normally forms part of your last layer, you can just complete F2L with that block. If you re-scramble but apply the move you used to place that pseudo block then the block will now belong to the F2L.

Looking at this example from weekly comp #23:
Scramble: L D2 F' L2 B2 R2 D L2 R D2 L2 B' D' F R' F' D'
F2L-1: D' L' B D2 U2 R2 B2 D F2 L2 D' B' U' B

Gives this situation:

It's fine to just complete the LL from here, undoing the pseudo block at the end, but you can make your life easier by applying the premove D2 to get this F2L: