• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to break in a cube

RampageCuber

WCA
2009CATC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Note: This is how I break in my cube, and I'm not stating its the best way, but it works well for me.

Step 1) Assemble, tension, and sticker your cube.

Step 2) Lubricate your cube with Vaseline (this will be cleaned out later)

Step 3) 100 solves, only around 50 if you are breaking in a big cube (not more, the Vaseline can melt a lot of plastic after that)

Step 4) Clean out your cube, good tutorials are at the bottom of this post

Step 5) Lubricate your cube using CRC Silicone or Jig-A-Loo

Step 6) Work in for 3 minutes, then let it sit for around an hour

Step 7) Do 200 more solves

Step 8) Repeat steps 5 and 6

Step 9) ???

Step 10) Profit.

How to clean a cube:

[YOUTUBE]KEHErX7MZ0M&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

How to lubricate a cube:

[YOUTUBE]s0rjg7ckq-0&feature=channel [/YOUTUBE]

Another Youtuber

[YOUTUBE]gXNTSqJFZZc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

miniGOINGS

Actually, I'm still breaking in the very first 3x3 that I bought, ever. And it's been over a year.

miniGOINGS

It was a storebought, but a Godly one at that. Yea, I get someone else to do the lubing for me :).

EDIT: Right now I'm using a different storebought that I got about 2 months ago because I'm waiting for bright stickers from CubeSmith.

Last edited:

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Might be dead post, but I solve and lube. Does thrwast mean ACTUAL sand like on a beach?

Yeah, it has an effect of sanding down the parts where the parts of the cube are rubbed together.

It's purely psychological. You have sand in your cube and eventually you forget how hard your cube is to turn, because your hands are no longer used to it. To prove it I want you to take a cube, and another cube that you think is very close in quality. Take one and put sand in it and grind the crap out of your cube, and then test both the cubes. You'll think your cube has become smoother, until you feel the other cube, and you'll see you've only made it worse. How would grinding the plastic attribute to a better moving cube anyway?

spdcbr

Might be dead post, but I solve and lube. Does thrwast mean ACTUAL sand like on a beach?

Yeah, it has an effect of sanding down the parts where the parts of the cube are rubbed together.

It's purely psychological. You have sand in your cube and eventually you forget how hard your cube is to turn, because your hands are no longer used to it. To prove it I want you to take a cube, and another cube that you think is very close in quality. Take one and put sand in it and grind the crap out of your cube, and then test both the cubes. You'll think your cube has become smoother, until you feel the other cube, and you'll see you've only made it worse. How would grinding the plastic attribute to a better moving cube anyway?

Have you actually tried it as proof? I think it does the same thing as just sanding down pieces. What you just said MIGHT be true if the sand was big and rough

WCA
2009MURR01
You can't take normal sand from the beach. You need finer sand. But wait? If sand get's in the core it will strip it? But finer sand has a better chance of getting in the core! So you'll probably ruin your cube either way. In the long-term I mean.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
i sprinkle magic dust into my cube. Then solve 2 twice. dance randomly for about 5 minutes. and then do exactly 5 moves on the cube. Undo the 5 moves and then twirl twice counter-clockwise. If done correctly you should have a well broken in cube.

and if you're going to ask were to get magic dust, I get them from fairies...seriously.

If you can't get any fairies to give you magic dust, then just solve the cube until you feel that it can't get any smoother that way. then you lube it.