• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Connecting a Stackmat timer to computer

Hi,
so i bought a speed stacks gen4 timer an a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cabel and everything works exept i can't stop the timer Please help (The gen4 stops but cstimer dosen't prisma dosen't work???)

Last edited:

Shadow Cuber

I'm having trouble as well. Whenever I plugin my stackmat it goes bezerk and cstimer doesnt seem to change at all. It keeps showing 0.000

iSoElectric

Yep, that's right. After having purchased the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cord a month ago, and messing with my computer inputs, browsers, and csTimer itself, my stackmat still won't connect to my computer (which is an iMac from 2012). OF COURSE I watched cyotheking's in-depth video about it the second he uploaded it, but even after watching it twice now and doing what he says, it STILL won't work. I tried the tips he suggested for the computer regarding inputs and browsers (I use Firefox - btw now's not the time to attack me for that, all of my solve sessions are on there, OK. I'm not switching.). I even bought the EXACT cord SpeedCubeReview linked in his tutorial. The only inputs on my computer are the internal microphone on my computer, and my mic, the Blue Snowball. I've tried following Chris' steps countless times on both Chrome and Firefox. Does anyone know what I should do? Is my cord defective? Do I need to use an adapter like Livia recommended in her video? I need answers!

Before replying, I'd recommend watching the videos I mentioned if you haven't already. I've attached them below for convenience.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yep, that's right. After having purchased the 2.5mm to 3.5mm cord a month ago, and messing with my computer inputs, browsers, and csTimer itself, my stackmat still won't connect to my computer (which is an iMac from 2012). OF COURSE I watched cyotheking's in-depth video about it the second he uploaded it, but even after watching it twice now and doing what he says, it STILL won't work. I tried the tips he suggested for the computer regarding inputs and browsers (I use Firefox - btw now's not the time to attack me for that, all of my solve sessions are on there, OK. I'm not switching.). I even bought the EXACT cord SpeedCubeReview linked in his tutorial. The only inputs on my computer are the internal microphone on my computer, and my mic, the Blue Snowball. I've tried following Chris' steps countless times on both Chrome and Firefox. Does anyone know what I should do? Is my cord defective? Do I need to use an adapter like Livia recommended in her video? I need answers!

Before replying, I'd recommend watching the videos I mentioned if you haven't already. I've attached them below for convenience.
Are you in the secure version of cstimer, and have you give cs permission to use the microphone?

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am not in the secure version normally, but I have tried that before and given the site permission to the microphone and it still doesn’t work :/
The only things that I can think of are: that the cord might be bad, or your mic port might not work. Try using it on a different computer if you can, and try plugging a mic into the port to see if it works.

Thanks for all the Support!!! I think CSTimer has a problem with my USB soundcard, which is poorly made and from China. That is Propobly the Problem. I might upload a sound file to soundcloud In the next week. ;) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

dfquigley

Quick question regarding stackmats on cstimer.

I got my stackmat, cord and cstimer all cooperation, and have done a couple hundred solves.

The strange thing I am noticing however is that the signal seems a bit off. If I am sitting with a solved time on the timer, I'll see the time on my computer change color a few times, and once in a while it'll start re-entering the time I have multiple times.

Once it entered my current solve time like 4 times in less than a second.

It's workable if I am sure to hit reset right away ( it sucks having it enter a time and skip to the next scramble half-way through scrambling )

While I can deal with this, I am curious if I am the only one who has this, and what the issue might be if it's not a common issue.

I am on windows 10, 4th gen stackmat, using firefox.

I have tried different audio ports, updated my sound drivers. I have a second cord coming in from amazon just in case that's the issue.

Thanks!

JJonesUK

WCA
2015JONE10
I have a Gen 4 Stackmat Timer and when using it with CSTimer a mixture of things happen. Sometimes the timer works absolutely fine with no faults at all, but a lot of the time, the timer will start and then just won't stop, even though it's stopped on the stackmat. What I find weird is that when cstimer is still counting, if I reset the stackmat, the cstimer clock resets as well. I can't figure out why this is happening.

dfquigley

I'm having different issues, so far when I start it starts, when I stop it stops, but I keep seeing my time change colors on the screen when I'm doing nothing ( scrambling ) whether it's still on my time from the last solve, or on zero.

Occasionally it goes and stores the current time multiple times, I've had up to 4 or 5 repeats in about a second or two.

I had to start resetting immediately to avoid this, especially since I lose the scramble I'm on as well.

If I have it set to have 15s inspection time, I can't make it start when I want unless I hit spacebar, but I will see it start inspection time on it's own, so I've had to turn that off.

JJonesUK

WCA
2015JONE10
I've fixed my issue by completely disabling all microphone tweaks etc that my drivers do by default, though now I'm experiencing the exact issue that you're also having. I'm also just resetting my timer, as I can't figure out why its happening. It's likely due to a faulty cable.

dfquigley

On one hand it sucks you are having the same issue, on the other I am glad it’s not just me.

We just got a second computer in the house that I will try it on next to see if the problem continues, ruling out the timer itself and cable if it goes away.

I also have a moyu timer, as well as a second cord coming soon to test out.

I hope someone else can chime in.

adamfenn28

I have a Gen 4 Stackmat timer working on a Mac with Chrome and Cstimer.

I was not able to do it like ANY of the YouTube tutorials suggest. I have 2 Gen 4's, and they both work, the same way. The Gen 4 data port seems to output line level audio, not mic level audio, as others have suggested. I have run this into a mixer and listened to it, and it's definitely WAY to loud to be mic level.

Unfortunately, modern MacBooks don't have line level audio input jacks. I used this audio capture device:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/616367-REG/Behringer_UCA222_UCA222_USB_1_1.html

I made a simple cable using these parts:

https://vetco.net/products/6-2-5mm-male-mono-pigtail-cable-right-angle

https://vetco.net/products/red-rca-male-plug-plastic

I have also noticed, similar to dfquigley, that once in a while, the Cstimer will record the same time multiple times, and advanced through scrambles with each entry.

@dfquigley are you using mic input or line input?

dfquigley

So far I had it as mic in, but will experiment with line in to see if it makes any difference.

I have a Gen 4 Stackmat timer working on a Mac with Chrome and Cstimer.

I was not able to do it like ANY of the YouTube tutorials suggest. I have 2 Gen 4's, and they both work, the same way. The Gen 4 data port seems to output line level audio, not mic level audio, as others have suggested. I have run this into a mixer and listened to it, and it's definitely WAY to loud to be mic level.

Unfortunately, modern MacBooks don't have line level audio input jacks. I used this audio capture device:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/616367-REG/Behringer_UCA222_UCA222_USB_1_1.html

I made a simple cable using these parts:

https://vetco.net/products/6-2-5mm-male-mono-pigtail-cable-right-angle

https://vetco.net/products/red-rca-male-plug-plastic

I have also noticed, similar to dfquigley, that once in a while, the Cstimer will record the same time multiple times, and advanced through scrambles with each entry.

@dfquigley are you using mic input or line input?

adamfenn28

@dfquigley, since posting, I have gotten mic in to work, if I run the Gen 4 output through a mixer and massively lowering the signal to something resembling mic level. I have actually been able to get this to work while running the output of the tip through my body which I measured at about 2 million ohms.

My next step is to see if I can locally source a few resistors in the range of 2 million ohms. If I can, I'll make a cable with the resistor in the 3.5mm connector. I will use these:

https://vetco.net/products/3-5mm-4-conductor-plug

I'm getting pretty confident that I can get this to work with just a custom "attenuation cable" and mic in.

Osiris

WCA
2017SESM01
If anyone could give me some advice for this, that'd be great! (I am on Windows, not Mac) So, I connect my SpeedStacks Stackmat to my computer's headphone jack with the correct cable. I am using the secure version of CSTimer, the timer on the screen shows the --:-- symbol, so I know that it's able to connect to the computer. I have changed my timing format in CSTimer to "Stackmat", and I have allowed the microphone to be used on Chrome, and the red dot is showing next to the tab, so I know that the microphone is allowed. When everything is set to go, I look at my stackmat and the red light is just randomly blinking, constantly. I have no idea how to stop it, and I can't even do a solve because the timer is just stopping on it's own with that red light always randomly blinking. Also, the times on my stackmat (which range from 0.02 to 0.xx), are still not even showing up on my times list in CSTimer. I have tried to find videos to help and find other ways of connecting it, but nothing has worked for me so far, so hopefully somebody out there can help! :)