• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

One-Answer WCA Competition and Regulations Question Thread

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can I switch around the mat when feet solving so that the timer is on the far side of the mat, so I don't accidentally stop the timer with my heels?

E: nevermind

• 7f2a) Exception: For Solving With Feet, the Stackmat must be placed directly on the floor. The timer device may be placed on the side of the mat farthest from the competitor.

Eelephant

they both seem to be referring to a set period of time, but I can't figure out specifically what they represent on a tournament details page...

What's really confusing me is some events have both a time limit and a cutoff listed for a one round event, and they are different.

Dancing Jules

Any attempt over the time limit will automatically be a DNF.

At least one of your first two event (in a ao5 event) needs to be under the cutoff, if you want to do attempts 3-5. If they are both over the cutoff, you'll finish after two solves. In an mo3 event, the first solve needs to be under the cutoff if you want to do solve 2-3.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
they both seem to be referring to a set period of time, but I can't figure out specifically what they represent on a tournament details page...

What's really confusing me is some events have both a time limit and a cutoff listed for a one round event, and they are different.
Time limit is a time in which your solve must be completed or they stop you from continuing.

Cutoff is a time you must reach in one of your your first two solves in an Ao5 event in order to get your remaining solves in a group.

Cutoff will always be lower than Time Limit.

Ex: Maybe 4x4 has a cutoff of 2:00 and a time limit of 4:00. If you hit 4:00 on a solve, the judge will stop you and you get a DNF. But, if you get a 1:45 in your first two solves, you get to do your last 3 solves in the Ao5. If you go above the 2:00 in both of your first two solves, you get a DNF average for the Ao5.

Hopefully that's clear :)

ducttapecuber

Premium Member
WCA
2014SHIE03
Cutoff- Rounds with a cutoff will have an additional best of 2 (best of 1 for 6x6 and 7x7) format where competitors will have 2 attempts to achieve a time under the cutoff. If the comeptitor does then they will be awarded more attempts to compelete the average.
Time Limit - Any attempt in the round exceeding this time will be awarded a DNF. For "WCA" Time limits, it is dependent on the regulations for that event.

teboecubes

WCA
2015TEBO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any results exceeding the time limit are automatically DNF. If, in an average of 5, the first two solves both exceed the cutoff, you're not allowed any more attempts for the average.

tnk351

My friend who is new to comps and he had registered to one (comp 1). And now he sees another competition (comp 2) that can be registered after a few days. Because he is new and he doesn't have a WCAID yet. So will that registration cause any problems?
Thanks, tnk351

Eelephant

Thanks, all, for clearing up "time limit" and "cutoff" for me. A couple follow ups, if I may?

1. Why is the time limit for 3x3 often 10 minutes? Or, at least, is usually much longer than 4x4, 5x5, etc... for instance, I am looking at the time limits for an upcoming Boston event, and the time limit for the 3x3 is 10 minutes, while the time limit for 4x4 is 1 min 45 sec. that doesn't make sense to me.

2. Are the time limits arbitrarily decided? At the same Boston event, the 4x4 time limit is only 5 times the world record single, while the square 1 time limit is 20 times the world record single! Why such a discrepancy? Mostly curious about this one cuz the 4x4 time limit seems a little tight. I am a fairly new cuber, and wouldn't even be able to dream of entering the 4x4, I wouldn't even come close to the time limit. While I could very easily make time limit on some of the others (which I am not particularly good at either!)...

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Eelephant : 3x3 time limit is typically way more generous to make the competition inclusive of newcomers and give everyone a chance. 10 mins is long enough that just about anyone who can solve a cube can show up and give it a try. Any longer than 10 mins would complicate things because the Stackmat timers only go up to 10 mins and a stopwatch would have to be used beyond.

For other events, time limits are used to keep the competition on schedule. Outside the main 3x3 event (and sometimes 2x2 and Pyraminx) it's expected that competitors are bona fide speedcubers who have practised enough to get a reasonable result.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3x3 is almost always very generous primarily because it is perceived as the main / beginner's event, and we like to be able to encourage anyone to compete who is able to solve the cube. Also, solvers who are really slow at 3x3x3 (over 2 minutes) are sufficiently rare that allowing slow 3x3x3 solvers almost never increases the time required to run a round at a competition.

Other than that, time limits / cutoffs are generally chosen by the organizers based on what will make a manageable schedule for a competition. A high cutoff / time limit for 4x4x4, for instance, can often attract a lot of 4 to 5 minute solvers, and can greatly increase the time required to run that round. So deciding to use a high cutoff time for bigger cubes often means having less total events at a competition, and many people (like me!) like to have lots of events at their competitions.

It's a balancing act to pick good cutoffs when organizing a competition.

The examples you're giving seem quite reasonable and sensible to me. I like to give longer cutoff times too when possible, but it often just doesn't make sense for an organizer to do that.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's considered as a +2

On exactly 45 degrees? it's probably a +2

Why do you bother replying without consulting the Regs? This makes me very angry--people are looking for answer from the Regs, not from people who think they know the answer when they don't, or people who "probably" know what the answer is. Thanks to porky for a source :p

Cutoff will always be lower than Time Limit.

False: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/competitions/Qualifornia2018#5068-schedule

Duncan Bannon

If you pick up a cube and the timer doesn't start but you don't make any moves is that a DNF? What if you make a move?