• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wisconsin Cubing Group

Yes group or no group

• yes

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • no

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm thinking of trying to organize a competition on January 20th in Viroqua, WI, most likely with 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, and MBLD. I don't have a definite commitment on a venue yet, but I talked to my pastor last night and he said that it's very likely that I could use the church building free of charge. I'm waiting to hear back from Brandon Mikel and Slater Metz if they would be available to delegate, but I've heard back from Walker Welch that he is not available to delegate but they're concerned at my inexperience, since I've only been to one comp. Does anybody, preferably someone who's organized a comp before, want to work with me on getting the Big Cheese Open 2018 off the ground?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I would think about changing the date because North Star is on the 27th

I'm aware of North Star. Unfortunately that's about 3.5 hours drive for me, and the 3 dates in the whole year that work for me are January 20th, January 27th, and February 3rd. I guess technically I would be available Monday through Saturday of those weeks, but it seems to me a Tuesday comp might suffer from poor attendance. The primary reason I'm even thinking of setting it up is that even those days I can still only be away from home from about 7:30 to 5:00 max. Take away 7 hours driving and I could get there from about 11:30 to 1:00/1:30, and that's not worth it for a slate of events that is mostly stuff I'm not that interested in. Other comps in Minneapolis or Madison are usually some variation of the same problem. Madison is 2 hours drive for me, so that's a little better, but big cube cutoffs at Madison comps are usually ridiculous, and there's always a lot of clock and pyraminx, and other small puzzles that I don't care about.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Updates on the comp?
Expecting to hear back definitely on the venue in the next day. I'll post here if it's a no go. If it happens I think the plan at this point is to have 4-7, mega, clock, and MBLD. Generous time limits and cutoffs, competitor limit of 50. Last I heard the inclination was to put in a second round of 4x4 as tentative.

Edit: it's on! Watch the WCA site and Official WCA Competitions section of the forum for updates.

Last edited: