• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

DMCubing

He probably ordered from a bad seller.
Two separate sellers, back in February, thinking my odds of being ripped off would be less by purchasing from two different sellers. Since then, I only buy from domestic US magnetic companies (Gaussboys, Apex, and Thackery) and an occasional purchase from China, magnets365.

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
Two separate sellers, back in February, thinking my odds of being ripped off would be less by purchasing from two different sellers. Since then, I only buy from domestic US magnetic companies (Gaussboys, Apex, and Thackery) and an occasional purchase from China, magnets365.
overseas shipping is pretty expensive
also from what seller did you buy your 3x2s?

DMCubing

overseas shipping is pretty expensive
also from what seller did you buy your 3x2s?
I just dug through all my PayPal and online purchases and can't find the sellers. Good case scenario would be that they never charged my card, which is what it's beginning to look like, but if I get a chance this week, I'll try to track the transactions down through my email, as there should be a record of it somewhere.
You didn't mention where you're from. If you're not in the US, I've had great service from magnets365. They're in China and have free shipping.

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
I just dug through all my PayPal and online purchases and can't find the sellers. Good case scenario would be that they never charged my card, which is what it's beginning to look like, but if I get a chance this week, I'll try to track the transactions down through my email, as there should be a record of it somewhere.
You didn't mention where you're from. If you're not in the US, I've had great service from magnets365. They're in China and have free shipping.
I am from Moldova (you can check my wca profile for that info )
I will look into magnets365

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a consensus for magnets to use in 60mm 4x4s (Mini AoSu, Yuxin Blue)? I've found people saying N52 3x1.5 inner with N38 4x2 outer, as well as people saying to use the WuQue's N48 4x1.5 inner with 5x1 outer. I'm a little concerned with the larger magnets fitting in the slightly smaller pieces.

I'd prefer a lighter magnetic feel overall, my mini AoSu's outer layers are quite good already I'm just looking to increase stability a bit.

xyzzy

Is it possible to meaningfully magnetise the Shengshou kilominx (without drilling holes like in the Cubicle Galaxy M)?

The edge pieces aren't symmetrical (!), with differently shaped holes on either side at different radii. You could put small magnets in there along with magnets in the corners, but consider these. (i) There's only one layer of plastic between the magnets (so ~1 mm) rather than two. (ii) For the hole further away from the core, the magnets in the edge have to be really tiny, like 2×1 tiny. (iii) For the hole nearer to the core, there's a bit more space, and maybe a 3×2 or 4×2 might fit. (iv) If you magnetise only one of the two holes, there may be polarity-related issues. (v) Regardless, the faces won't have a consistent magnetic pull, although the inconsistency might or might not be noticeable.

You could also place the magnet "on the side", so (e.g.) the north pole faces outwards (as in outside of the puzzle) and the south pole faces inwards (as in towards the core), which would eliminate polarity concerns and allow for larger magnets, but side-to-side magnetic attraction is much weaker than face-to-face attraction.

The corner pieces have a "unified" design (not split pieces, not exterior caps), although on each corner, one of the interior faces is a removable cap, so you can still place magnets on the inside. It could be possible to magnetise just the corners and forget about the edges entirely (like a 2×2×2), but there is an inherently large distance between the two corners due to puzzle geometry (~7 mm at minimum), and the magnetic strength calculator is telling me there's essentially zero force between the magnets if we constrain the magnets to be small enough to fit within the pieces. (Increasing magnet diameter also forces them to be further apart; with 5 mm diameter magnets, the distance has to be at least ~11 mm, I think.)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Is there a consensus for magnets to use in 60mm 4x4s (Mini AoSu, Yuxin Blue)? I've found people saying N52 3x1.5 inner with N38 4x2 outer, as well as people saying to use the WuQue's N48 4x1.5 inner with 5x1 outer. I'm a little concerned with the larger magnets fitting in the slightly smaller pieces.

I'd prefer a lighter magnetic feel overall, my mini AoSu's outer layers are quite good already I'm just looking to increase stability a bit.

I don't think there's any consensus on magnets at all. I just saw somebody on reddit yesterday saying that magnets aren't any good except to stabilize a very unstable cube. I used 4x2 n38 and 4x1.5 n38 in a yuxin blue and I like it, but if you're looking for a subtle magnetic feel that won't work. I personally prefer having the cube in hand to measure the size of the spaces, but if the magnet will fit without making the cube too difficult to turn the bigger (diameter) the better, generally.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Also I know this has been talked about before but what magnets are good for a Wushuang 5x5? If someone knows the pages that this was discussed that would be helpful. I don't have time to look though them all. Thanks.

4x2 n35 outside, 4x2 n38 inside fit and work fairly well, but they aren't exactly what could be described as subtle, if that's what you're looking for.

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
Did anyone tried magnetising 3x3 but instead of putting them between edge and corner, put between center and edge?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did anyone tried magnetising 3x3 but instead of putting them between edge and corner, put between center and edge?
Yes. I've done the MF3RS. A lot of cubes are not suited as there are contours in the sides if the pieces but the MF3RS is nice and straight. I used N35 5x1mm magnets. The cube is really nice.

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes. I've done the MF3RS. A lot of cubes are not suited as there are contours in the sides if the pieces but the MF3RS is nice and straight. I used N35 5x1mm magnets. The cube is really nice.
Wow, seems interesting! I'm going to try this because mine is also MF3RS! Thanks for the info anyway! But can you help me with the polarity of magnets or have any guide on youtube?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, seems interesting! I'm going to try this because mine is also MF3RS! Thanks for the info anyway! But can you help me with the polarity of magnets or have any guide on youtube?
Polarity is easy. Edges have one and centres have the other. In practice it's a bit fiddly as there's no space to just drop the magnet in and let it turn itself the right way around so you need to keep track of them. I took the whole core apart to do it.