• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

Dancing Jules

I ripped about 25 magnets off a cube, I used nail polish remover that set for a while. It wasn’t that hard. It took me about 20 or so minutes. Be aware that I did have to throw some away because they were chipped and they wouldnt lay right. Good luck!

As someone with (unfortunately) a lot of experience removing magnets, the way I've done is to soak the pieces in hot soapy water overnight or for a few hours, then ply them out with a screwdriver. Then repeat for any stubborn ones that are left. The magnets will still be usable as well

I decided to order a second cube and use N35 4x1 magnets this time. So I'll skip the ripping-out. The old one with the stronger magnets will stay a back-up cube.

Duncan Bannon

Ebay, but I hear often times they are weaker than stated. I buy from Guassboys. They are about $5 per 50 magnets. Free shipping over $10 and use discount code “DMCUBING” to save 10% at checkout :)

chron0s

I put 4x1 N38s into a Dayan 2x2 (new plastic) and pretty happy with it. These magnets are on the lighter side for my preferences but add some stability.

I ordered a second 2x2 in new plastic and will try something slightly stronger in there.

I also magnetized a second feihu and really like this cube with setup and magnets. I put a TON of silk into the cube and it feels awesome. One problem: the internal center pieces tend to catch, this is a design flaw. Tighter tensions are required to prevent it - I'm going to try rounding the edges of the center pieces (where it catches) and see if that helps.

Haven't magnetized any other cubes lately, will report in when I've tried more.

Last edited:

chron0s

Anyone know good size / strength for magnetizing the slice on a Moyu and Volt square-1? I see the cubicle is using rectangular magnets for the volt.

chron0s

I magnetized my GAN 249 tonight - was more or less painless and like doing a chuwen or xinghen. Some notes:

1. I had to pry the sides off with a plastic razor. I was worried I'd break a tab but it all went ok, but be gentle.
2. You can't run bigger magnets in here diameter wise! 4mm doesn't look like it'll fit :/
3. There are lots of little tabs and other structural elements under the caps so be careful when gluing if you want it to go together.

I used 'Future Glue Gel' - my first gel krazy glue and can't believe how much easier it was. The glue holds the magnets nicely in place during placement and allows me to get them snug.

I put in 1/10'' x 1/16'' N42 magnets from K&J magnets, I like these a lot in 2x2s. In the 249 they feel surprisingly strong, this cube really doesn't need a lot of magnetic strength. They make the cube very stable! I'd like to try one more with a slightly weaker magnet.

I lubed with silk and lubicle speedy and what a difference it made for this cube.

Credit to GANS for such a surprisingly innovative design. I LOVE being able to get consistent tensions without having to take the cube apart - just tighten the nuts down to the same amount, gauged by looking at how much of the screw is sticking up above the GAN nut. Wish all cubes worked this way.

I like this cube but still need to play with it a lot more. Lube and setup are essential and improve the feeling and corner cutting tremendously.

Will report in when I do more cubes.

Last edited:

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've not been doing much magnetisation recently but had a bit of free time today. I did a MF3RS and a Yuxin Little Magic. Really pleased with the MF3RS. It's far better than it was out of the box. Really nice subtle feel which I think will be great for blind. The Yuxin is good too. A fantastic budget cube already, it feels more solid and expensive. The plastic is thin so the N35 4x2s are a bit too strong for it but with something a touch weaker it could be my main.

In other news, my 3yo is currently walking around the house dragging a >2m long string of magnets saying it's his pet robot cat.

chron0s

Realization I just made ordering more magnets for 2x2s:

K&J has a bunch of magnets in 1/10'' and 1/16'' diameter. I've found some to be too weak, and others too strong.

just ordered a bunch in the full range between 4x1 N35 and 4x1 N38 in strength. I'm going to try putting the smallest ones onto existing magnetized cubes to nudge the strength up just a bit - lets me dial it in.

Here's a concept: you get a magnet in 'lite' tension but you can add magnets yourself by stacking more on to push the strength up. Good at least during the research phase to find the right tension, for the final version you can add a magnet in the right strength to keep the weight down.

I think people have already realized this but its the first time it occurred to me!