• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The History of One Handed World Record Singles.

mDiPalma

I can't imagine being the members of the WCA Board that decided the misscramble on the WR single should be accepted.

Every day that the WR stands, the guilt must constrict them tighter and tighter...
Every time they boot up a browser to the OH single records page, it must make them feel a bit nauseous...
Every time they navigate to Faz's WCA profile and see the result, it must fill them with regret...
Every time the youtube video comes up as a recommended video, it must make them feel extremely uneasy...

Perhaps that's why so many people have resigned recently. Maybe they couldn't handle their own little Tell-Tale Heart...

That such a blatant disregard for WCA regulations is not only permitted, but displayed proudly at the top of the World Rankings...
That they've prematurely stolen the WR from Haixin Yang, in such dishonest circumstances...
That their horrible precedent jeopardizes the legitimacy of their entire association...
That their decision violates Mott's Codes of Ethics for REAL non-profit organizations...
And that Feliks would have gotten the WR single even without this horribly illegal, biased and unfair ruling.

It's OK to admit you were wrong.
You can always turn back your decision.
You have nothing to lose and the world to gain.

How does a clean conscience sound?

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
I can't imagine being the members of the WCA Board that decided the misscramble on the WR single should be accepted.

Every day that the WR stands, the guilt must constrict them tighter and tighter...
Every time they boot up a browser to the OH single records page, it must make them feel a bit nauseous...
Every time they navigate to Faz's WCA profile and see the result, it must fill them with regret...
Every time the youtube video comes up as a recommended video, it must make them feel extremely uneasy...

Perhaps that's why so many people have resigned recently. Maybe they couldn't handle their own little Tell-Tale Heart...

That such a blatant disregard for WCA regulations is not only permitted, but displayed proudly at the top of the World Rankings...
That they've prematurely stolen the WR from Haixin Yang, in such dishonest circumstances...
That their horrible precedent jeopardizes the legitimacy of their entire association...
That their decision violates Mott's Codes of Ethics for REAL non-profit organizations...
And that Feliks would have gotten the WR single even without this horribly illegal, biased and unfair ruling.

It's OK to admit you were wrong.
You can always turn back your decision.
You have nothing to lose and the world to gain.

How does a clean conscience sound?
buddy you ok there

turtwig

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I don't see why you would think it was some kind of disaster even if you disagree with the decision. The misscramble was out of the competitor's (Feliks's) control, and as far as I can see it wasn't intentional. Given this, the misscramble obviously didn't give Feliks any kind of advantage, so the only reason to oppose it would be a strict application of the regulations (which I can definitely understand, but I think that ultimately the regulations are in place to make competitions fair, and I don't see how such a misscramble is unfair).

mDiPalma

the misscramble obviously didn't give Feliks any kind of advantage

it was brute-force proven that the misscramble that was applied was literally the easiest possible misscramble for the competitor's method (for misscrambles of move omission and direction). i.e. out of all possible misscrambles, it gave the easiest cross... it also ended up breaking the WR by over a second... so it was clearly advantageous....

turtwig

it was brute-force proven that the misscramble that was applied was literally the easiest possible misscramble for the competitor's method (for misscrambles of move omission and direction). i.e. out of all possible misscrambles, it gave the easiest cross... it also ended up breaking the WR by over a second... so it was clearly advantageous....

But if it wasn't someone intentionally misscrambling, then I don't think it's an advantage. An accidental misscramble is still random so he would've had the same chance as anyone else to get an easy scramble, it's just that he got lucky.

mDiPalma

But if it wasn't someone intentionally misscrambling, then I don't think it's an advantage. An accidental misscramble is still random so he would've had the same chance as anyone else to get an easy scramble, it's just that he got lucky.

The only evidence that you have that it was not intentional is the scrambler's testimony. If we always blindly trusted the testimony of the accused, our society could not exist.

turtwig

The only evidence that you have that it was not intentional is the scrambler's testimony. If we always blindly trusted the testimony of the accused, our society could not exist.

Ok, that's the first time I've heard that. Changes the situation a lot.

Just read that there's a program that generates easy misscrambles, and the scrambler seems very suspicious too (though Feliks says that he trusts him). Given this information, I would probably agree with you that it should've been a DNF or extra attempt (I don't know why the delegate didn't give him an extra attempt when Feliks couldn't reconstruct the solve), just to be safe.

EDIT: I think we can agree that an intentional misscramble should be discarded, and an accidental misscramble that is still legit should be kept (especially in Feliks's case where they found out after the comp). The real question is when there is a misscramble (the scrambler will obviously say that it was an accident, since almost no one admits to cheating), how lucky the solve has to be for it to be suspicious enough to likely be intentional to the point that we agree to discard it.

Last edited:

Sean Fei

Ok, that's the first time I've heard that. Changes the situation a lot.

Just read that there's a program that generates easy misscrambles, and the scrambler seems very suspicious too (though Feliks says that he trusts him). Given this information, I would probably agree with you that it should've been a DNF or extra attempt (I don't know why the delegate didn't give him an extra attempt when Feliks couldn't reconstruct the solve), just to be safe.

EDIT: I think we can agree that an intentional misscramble should be discarded, and an accidental misscramble that is still legit should be kept (especially in Feliks's case where they found out after the comp). The real question is when there is a misscramble (the scrambler will obviously say that it was an accident, since almost no one admits to cheating), how lucky the solve has to be for it to be suspicious enough to likely be intentional to the point that we agree to discard it.
I'd agree

trucdev88

Awesome video. I really admire their talented.
great job i cant do it with two hands and with it hardly scrambled. brilliant job well done!