• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
I just got the cube that I ordered online, and I watched videos on how to properly lubricate it and stuff. I saw a couple videos saying that Vaseline/petroleum jelly can eat up your cube and damage it, but I also saw other feedback saying that those work just fine as long as you don't put too much. Now, me being ever so curious, decided to try it out. i took out the top layer of my cube and started rubbing small amounts of petroleum jelly at a time until I was satisfied with how it looked. I put the pieces back together and started testing the turning of the cube. Nothing happened and I guess the substance didn't make my cube turn any faster.

I decided that it was time to remove the petroleum jelly because of the fear that it might damage my cube. So I took the cube apart, cleaned each piece thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and paper towels, and then put them back together once more. But what I've noticed was that when I tested the turning, it felt kind of soggy? I don't know how to explain it but it kind of feels like that. The turning is crap now. Any advice on how to fix this problem?
clean it with water then use some good cube lube (traxxas 50k,30k,lubicle 1,cubicle Weight 3,lubicle silk etc)

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
Does washing it with water damage the stickers or will they be fine? Thanks for the tip btw.
if they are from a modern cube(gans cube,moyu weilong gts,gts2,valk etc,)then they will be fine but be careful you shouldnt get the stickers wet while cleaning the cube cause they can get weird descolaration

The Torrent

Hello
I am new to this forum and not even sure if this is the right area, so apologies if it is not.

I have been cubing for nearly two weeks now, i get average 1:40 on CFOP. My current cube is a standard Rubiks cube (from Rubiks.com). I have ordered a YJ Yulong of eBay and it should also be here in a few weeks.
I am on quite a limited budget, and my question is, what is a decent cheap lube that i should get? Currently I'm thinking of getting some Traxxas 50k, as i have been told this would work well as it is silicon based. The cheapest i can find on eBay is £10.50. Is this classed as 'cheap' for lube, and is there any cheaper decent lube? I saw some Maru Lube for £1.20 but apparently its not that good?

Many thanks

ErwinOlie

WCA
2014OLIE01
Since you're 1:40 CFOP at the moment I suggest buying a cheap silicone spray from your local store. Around my town it costs around 2 euro's and one can provides (almost) unlimited lube. As long as you are above sub-20 my opinion is that the difference between expensive lube and silicone spray is neglectable.

applezfall

WCA
2016NAGR01
Hello
I am new to this forum and not even sure if this is the right area, so apologies if it is not.

I have been cubing for nearly two weeks now, i get average 1:40 on CFOP. My current cube is a standard Rubiks cube (from Rubiks.com). I have ordered a YJ Yulong of eBay and it should also be here in a few weeks.
I am on quite a limited budget, and my question is, what is a decent cheap lube that i should get? Currently I'm thinking of getting some Traxxas 50k, as i have been told this would work well as it is silicon based. The cheapest i can find on eBay is £10.50. Is this classed as 'cheap' for lube, and is there any cheaper decent lube? I saw some Maru Lube for £1.20 but apparently its not that good?

Many thanks
you should buy from ebay I would say get traxxas 50k from amazon for like 7 dollars for the core and maybe lubicle 1 for pieces from the cubicle (you can also use traxxas on the pieces but it will make it slower)

The Torrent

Since you're 1:40 CFOP at the moment I suggest buying a cheap silicone spray from your local store. Around my town it costs around 2 euro's and one can provides (almost) unlimited lube. As long as you are above sub-20 my opinion is that the difference between expensive lube and silicone spray is neglectable.

I don't have many stores like that around, the closest i can get is construction grade stuff from tool station. That won't damage my cube will it???

you should buy from ebay I would say get traxxas 50k from amazon for like 7 dollars for the core and maybe lubicle 1 for pieces from the cubicle (you can also use traxxas on the pieces but it will make it slower)
I'm in uk, so Traxxas costs about 13 dollars for me, and they don't have the cubicle over here, unless i choose to pay £15 in overseas shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Torrent

Would using Traxxas 50k for everything first and then adding some maru to the pieces work?? I just watched a video about it.

The Torrent

pieces you can use it for springs but doesnt last too long

Ok, last question 2 questions. What do you recommend for the core? Traxxas? and What would happen if I used traxxas on the pieces (I'm quite impatient and might use the traxxas while the QiYi ships (10-20 days)).