• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

supercube

YouTube
Visit Channel
I was looking at CRC products today. I noticed there is a CRC "syntha-tech lubricant with PTFE" that has carbon dioxide as propellant making it safe to use on most plastics. compare to CRC "power lube high performance lubricant with PTFE". it seems pretty clear from the datasheet that the one with the hydrocarbon propellant melts the plastic in speed cubes. I have been using CRC spray since back in the day when all we did was spray with petrolleum distilates based silicone sprays like jigaloo and CRC etc.. my question is basically what CRC product replaced the basic silicone spray? I don't even mind that it melts my cubes. I have a scratched up cube that had buffing compound in it so now it needs a slight melting and lubrication to bring it back too life.

also second question, has anyone tried CRC "syntha-tech lubricant with PTFE" (carbon dioxide) or the CRC "dry moly lube" (hydrocarbon + Molybdenum Disulfide dry lube)?

CubingDaily

I've had my Yan 3 for awhile now and I've been wanting to set up again, but I didn't really like how
the lube that used felt. Does anyone recommend any lube for the core/pieces?

DatTheCuber:)

I used to lube my cores with traxxas 50k the second i got my cube, but cubes like the ChuWen feel really good without lubing the core. Is it necessary?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I have never specifically lubed the core and a lot of the people who have tried my cubes say they are the best they have tried so it might not be necessary.

With that said, it might be that I either inadvertently lube the core when I overlube or due to Gans octocores not needing it as much or that my cubes could possibly even better if I actually lubed the core.

Basically probably not, but why not try if you feel like it makes it nicer?

Zerksies

It's better to use a cube without lube. Lube is supposed aid the cube in speeding it up or slowing it down if it's not right from the get go.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
I don't lube the core because it doesn't make a lot of difference.
Some cubes do have some spring noise out of the box and that's the only time I would lube the core.

Also, the new lubicle black seems to be making a difference in cubes just by putting some in the core.

Sean Fei

I recently lubed the core of my stickerless Valk 3. Without any lube on the pieces, the cube seemed to slow down drastically. I don't know what the cause is. Also on the blue side, after every 100 solves, the screw gets loose and I have to tighten it again.

WCA
2017DRAB01
I recently lubed the core of my stickerless Valk 3. Without any lube on the pieces, the cube seemed to slow down drastically.
What weight lube did you use on the core?
anyway, when you took the cube apart, you might have not gotten the tensions correct. Just a possibility.
Also you might have accidentally put weight 1000 in your cube :p

Also on the blue side, after every 100 solves, the screw gets loose and I have to tighten it again.
Is the cube old or brand new?
Have you tried switching the yellow and blue screw? See if the problem stays.

Feels bad. You seem to have gotten a bad cube ;(

Sean Fei

What weight lube did you use on the core?
anyway, when you took the cube apart, you might have not gotten the tensions correct. Just a possibility.
Also you might have accidentally put weight 1000 in your cube :p

I used weight 0.7 from ScS, seemed to work on all other cubes.

Is the cube old or brand new?
Have you tried switching the yellow and blue screw? See if the problem stays.

Feels bad. You seem to have gotten a bad cube ;(
its about 4 months old, and broken in, sadly I don't have another main to switch with :(. Is there anyway to exchange it?

YouTube
Visit Channel
The core should be lubed when these problems occur:
1. There's spring noise (you can hear the metal/plastic friction).
2. Your cube is slow (this one's obvious).
3. Your cube can't corner cut 35+ degrees.

Good core lubes: Cubicle Silicone Lube weights 3-5, Lubicle Gummy, Traxxas 30k/50k, Silicone Spray, Lubicle Black, Lubicle (standard), DNM-37

The pieces should be lubed when these problems occur:
1. Your cube is slow (again, obvious).
2. Your cube has a very scratchy feeling.
3. Your cube can't corner cut 35+ degrees.
4. Your cube doesn't have effortless turning.

Good piece lubes: Cubicle Silicone Lube weights 1-3, Lubicle Speedy, Lubicle One, Maru Lube, Rubik's lube, Silicone Spray, Lubicle Silk, Vaseline (lol)

NubCuber

I just got the cube that I ordered online, and I watched videos on how to properly lubricate it and stuff. I saw a couple videos saying that Vaseline/petroleum jelly can eat up your cube and damage it, but I also saw other feedback saying that those work just fine as long as you don't put too much. Now, me being ever so curious, decided to try it out. i took out the top layer of my cube and started rubbing small amounts of petroleum jelly at a time until I was satisfied with how it looked. I put the pieces back together and started testing the turning of the cube. Nothing happened and I guess the substance didn't make my cube turn any faster.

I decided that it was time to remove the petroleum jelly because of the fear that it might damage my cube. So I took the cube apart, cleaned each piece thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and paper towels, and then put them back together once more. But what I've noticed was that when I tested the turning, it felt kind of soggy? I don't know how to explain it but it kind of feels like that. The turning is crap now. Any advice on how to fix this problem?