• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
M

Malkom

I've got it set up to corner cut at 1 cubie, is this too loose/tight? And yeah, I haven't had a chance to fully break it in/lube it so that could be the issue too. Just that every review I read is like "right out of the box it's great, no catching, yada yada", so it makes me think either A) they're being paid to say it or B) my big tension skills are not as refined as my 3x3.
I think it's mainly due to your turning style. It's easy to misalign the layers which will cause lockups, if you learn how to turn properly (something I'm still trying to learn) the cubes are amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's mainly due course to your turning style. It's easy to misalign the layers which will cause lockups, if you learn how to turn properly (something I'm still trying to learn) the cubes are amazing.
+1, sometimes I see people blame hardware instead of themselves. You just have to do some solves to adjust to the turning of big cubes, as they require more accuracy.

Aserian

Silk and DNM. 2 drops of silk on each layer (2 on outer, 2 on inner), and 3 drops on each layer for DNM

I think it's mainly due course to your turning style. It's easy to misalign the layers which will cause lockups, if you learn how to turn properly (something I'm still trying to learn) the cubes are amazing.

+1, sometimes I see people blame hardware instead of themselves. You just have to do some solves to adjust to the turning of big cubes, as they require more accuracy.

Awesome thanks everyone! I'll keep practicing and lube up.

Puzeral

I recently got my Qiyi Wuque 4x4, out of the box was pretty bad, slow, and catchy. Then I put some S1 lube in it, it was not helping, the tensions were also too tight, so I loosen it, still the same. The problem is that it locks up, can't corner cut at all. The worst part is that when solving sometimes the 4 centerpieces kinds of pops up and it will feel like that side of the cube is very loose. All I have to do a U flick and it does a U3 or a U'. I have to push the pieces back to get the tensions and the pieces back to normal. Any tips to get it working like all the reviews? Thanks

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I don't have a Wuque, but your problem with one side being loose sounds very similar to a problem I had with my CB G4. In that case the center piece was popping up on top of the core. It needs to sit down over the core so the alignment mechanism doesn't turn. When it pops up it also means the spring is compressed and can't put tension on the pieces. It might be that when you loosened the tensions you loosened them too much.

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
I would say it is a bad one. I ordered quite some of Wuque's. They are never the same. The bad ones catch a lot. Sometines it can be perfect out of the box. I think they are not so precise we would like to expect. Return it and ask for better one, that is my recomendation. When I inspected tha bad case it was usuall just a little twist in one of the screws.

Puzeral

If I bought it form a store in Thailand, it is not an official store, unlike thecubicle.us, or speedcubeshop. If I were to change how can I guarantee myself that I can get a good one?

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
If I bought it form a store in Thailand, it is not an official store, unlike thecubicle.us, or speedcubeshop. If I were to change how can I guarantee myself that I can get a good one?
I'm not sure what you mean by official store in this case. I don't think you really can guarantee getting a good one without getting the person to take a set of cubes out of the box before they send them off. I'm sure that they don't purposely make or sell bad ones.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure what you mean by official store in this case. I don't think you really can guarantee getting a good one without getting the person to take a set of cubes out of the box before they send them off. I'm sure that they don't purposely make or sell bad ones.
By official I think he mean a speedcube shop.

Also, same issues with mine, it's pretty rubbish, slow and catchy

Puzeral

By official I think he mean a speedcube shop.

Also, same issues with mine, it's pretty rubbish, slow and catchy

Yes, that's what I mean by official store, but after lubing it and making changes, it still doesn't work just got a bit smoother, still lockups and catches every single solve.

xyzzy

A short video of how you're turning it would probably make clear what the issue really is. After all, "lockups and catches" could be caused not only by defective hardware, but also by poor turning style.

If you were expecting the Wuque (or any 4×4×4, really) to be as forgiving of misalignment as the premium/flagship 3×3×3 cubes (and quite a few reviewers were deceptive in this regard), you will need to adjust your expectations and turn more carefully. You won't get past 40° corner cutting with reasonable tensions on any big cube.

Puzeral

A short video of how you're turning it would probably make clear what the issue really is. After all, "lockups and catches" could be caused not only by defective hardware, but also by poor turning style.

If you were expecting the Wuque (or any 4×4×4, really) to be as forgiving of misalignment as the premium/flagship 3×3×3 cubes (and quite a few reviewers were deceptive in this regard), you will need to adjust your expectations and turn more carefully. You won't get past 40° corner cutting with reasonable tensions on any big cube.
Hmmm, I am not sure about that, but with 3x3 I can turn with hardly any lockups, the wuque cube cannot corner cut more than like 15°, which causes a lot of lockups, but I will see about my turning style.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
15 degrees is quite reasonable for a wuque especially one not broken in very well. mine can cut around 30, however the only benefit for more corner cutting is that it makes smaller cuts easier. Uneven tension may also cause a lot of lockups so make sure your tensions are even.

Puzeral

It is a shop made to sell speedcubes but it doesn't have like more than 3 wuques in stock, here's the website candyspeed.com

CuberFles

Is my cube defective or what? Right out of the box the Cubicle Valk M feels like it was lubed with a kind of glue that just won't dry completely. I already tried loosening all the screws by at least half a turn, no difference at all. Am I doing something wrong? The GAN 356 Air SM I received in the same shipment was a breeze, right out of the box. Love it! But the Valk M...? PitA. Not gonna use it. The Valk 3 without magnets is a light year better....