• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What sub sets should you learn at what time average?

WCA
2017LOPE34
Back again, I have 1 pll left but right now can you guys rate these r perms?
Ra R U R' F' R U2 R' U2 R' F R U R U2 R' headlights on left
Rb R' U2 R U2 R' F R U R' U' R' F' R2 headlights in front
Anyone have a decent Nb perm as well? Thanks!

M

Malkom

I use the same Rperms, they're quite nice. For Nperms I think most people use the RUD alg, I myself prefer the RUF one.

WCA
2017LOPE34
I now average 18 when I try but technically 20 since I'm switching to color neutral and I lose about 2 seconds with pink and orange cross. I'm more so asking about 2x2 this time, but I average low 6 high 5 so should I switch to cll or wait until sub 5?
And for pyra, top or V? Drew uses top and he is a God a pyra while V first people like Livia, Daniel, and others aren't as fast as him.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And for pyra, top or V? Drew uses top and he is a God a pyra while V first people like Livia, Daniel, and others aren't as fast as him.

I'm gonna say V. Sure, Drew uses top first, but most other world class Pyraminxers use V-first. V-first is definitely easier (requires next to 0 algs), and personally I feel that it's just better overall. It's quite intuitive and easy to look ahead with.

WCA
2013BARK01
I now average 18 when I try but technically 20 since I'm switching to color neutral and I lose about 2 seconds with pink and orange cross. I'm more so asking about 2x2 this time, but I average low 6 high 5 so should I switch to cll or wait until sub 5?
Learn CLL, it will make you easily sub-4.5 and with practice you can get down to high 2s.

source: sub 3 2x2 solver

M

Malkom

I'm gonna say V. Sure, Drew uses top first, but most other world class Pyraminxers use V-first. V-first is definitely easier (requires next to 0 algs), and personally I feel that it's just better overall. It's quite intuitive and easy to look ahead with.
Really? I thought top-first was way more popular than V-first.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Really? I thought top-first was way more popular than V-first.

It definitely used to be, but in the past years there's been a huge resurgence of fast V-first users. Of the people with official sub-3 averages, Rafał Waryszak, Maciej Czapiewski, Livia Kleiner, myself, Aniket Das, Henry Savich, Ryan Cho, Benjamin Kyle, and quite a few others (those are just some off the top of my head) all use L4E. In Nationals finals this year, I believe there were only two or three top first users. I feel that V-first is definitely getting more popular as time goes on; I haven't met any new Pyraminxers (who started in the past year or two) who use top first.

WCA
2017LOPE34
Thanks all for the replies. In the process of learning CLL and practicing Pyra. Now I'm moving on to the bigger things.
For 4x4 I average around 1:20 and I want to know how I can get faster. I use 3-2-3 and Yau.
For megaminx, my first time solve was 5 minutes. I have trouble with last layer so I'm assuming thats what's slowing me down.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
Thanks all for the replies. In the process of learning CLL and practicing Pyra. Now I'm moving on to the bigger things.
For 4x4 I average around 1:20 and I want to know how I can get faster. I use 3-2-3 and Yau.
For megaminx, my first time solve was 5 minutes. I have trouble with last layer so I'm assuming thats what's slowing me down.
Megaminx Last layer doesn't really matter until you are averaging sub 2.
I know this guy who uses beginner ll on mega and still averages 1:15.

qaz

WCA
2013BROW04

You could try R U' R' U' R U R D R' U' R D' R' U2 R' for Ra - I prefer it since there's less U2s