• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Hi guys how would I know if the polarity of the magnets are correct? I just watched some guides today , and I'm just anxious about this part...

btw I'm gonna magnetize Valk with N42 magnets sooner or later...
(total newbie to magcubing world.)

Just place one magnet, say, in an edge, and then hold the corner next to the edge to place the magnet in the corner. Then to do the next edge use the corner as your template, etc.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Need some physics help here,

If I was magnetising a 5x5, I would put 2 magnets in each wing, one facing the corner and one facing the midge. My question is, in theory, does it matter if the magnets in the wing repel or attract each other? (ie, does one give a stronger attraction in the end product than another?)

xyzzy

Need some physics help here,

If I was magnetising a 5x5, I would put 2 magnets in each wing, one facing the corner and one facing the midge. My question is, in theory, does it matter if the magnets in the wing repel or attract each other? (ie, does one give a stronger attraction in the end product than another?)

If they attract, then you get a very slightly stronger attraction in the end product, because now you have the wing-corner magnets also attracting the wing-midge magnets. (idk how to explain this well, so have this crude ASCII art diagram)

Code:
  corner   wing   midge   wing    corner

|      @|@     @|@     @|@     @|@      |
       ^ ^       ^
   these two     |
   will attract  |
   this one    --|
   (albeit very weakly)

In practice, the difference should be negligible.

DMCubing

Hi guys how would I know if the polarity of the magnets are correct? I just watched some guides today , and I'm just anxious about this part...

btw I'm gonna magnetize Valk with N42 magnets sooner or later...
(total newbie to magcubing world.)
Just build the cube up without the core once you've reassembled all the cubie pieces. If something is wrong, the cube won't hold together. Otherwise, if all is good, the magnets will hold it together without the core.

N48 is fairly strong in this cube, but fine if you prefer a pronounced magnetic feel.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
How does the plastic/thickness compare between a Weichuang and a Wushuang? I have a Weichuang M that I'm not particularly excited about, and I'm getting a Wushuang that I'm inclined to try to magnetize. I'd like to do it right.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Planning to magnetise an even layered cube, if i want to use 4x2 N50s in the outer layers, what magnets should I use in the middle layers to get the most similar feel as the outers?

DMCubing

Probably will feel nice if you like a lighter pullforce. I just did my Chuwen with N52 3x1.5 and it's awesome!!! I've been working on the video tutorial tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 10

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I just finished my partially-magnetized YJ YuFu, with 4x2 N38s from Gaussboys. I just magnetized the edges, because I couldn't figure out how to fit the magnets in the corner pieces. I don't know. I think it might be better than it was to start with, but to be honest I was hoping for a stronger magnetic feel. I'm still getting some catching and popping on the inner layers, and layers don't stay aligned the way I was hoping. My initial review of my Aoshi was similarly nonplussed, and as that has broken in I've gotten pretty happy with it, so this might turn out fantastic, but initial impressions are meh. I would happily trade it for an un-modded Yuxin Red or QiYi Wuji so I can take a second crack at a magnetized 6 or 7.

E: have you ever had a cube that felt terrible to scramble, but when you start solving it everything works together and it's fine? This is the opposite. It feels great scrambling, not so good when you start to solve it.

Update on the Yufu part-M (Yufu N?): the more I play with this cube the more I like it. DEFINITELY better than my cubic Aofu. I feel like the 4x2 n38s are perfect for the inner layers, but if I had magnets on the outer layers I'd want the 4x2 n38s there, and something a little stronger for the inner layers. I highly recommend the mod.

VenomCubing

WCA
2017MORT01
I'm 100% sure that someone has asked this before, but I don't have any superglue. I have tacky glue, caulking, and some regular white glue. Will any of these work for magnets?