• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SolveThatCube

WCA
2014ADCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Depends on the event. For 3x3, it's probably around 20-25 moves on average. Pretty sure it's more than 19 or 20, because the scrambles aren't optimal since that would take too long to find.

Note that the scrambles aren't just a list of random moves; they are a specific algorithm that leads to a randomly chosen state on the cube, so no scramble is favored over any other one.
I downloaded TNoodle and the scrambles it was giving me weren't more than 21 moves. There was even one that was 18 moves, but the average seemed to be 19 or 20. What is your source?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I downloaded TNoodle and the scrambles it was giving me weren't more than 21 moves. There was even one that was 18 moves, but the average seemed to be 19 or 20. What is your source?

Hmmm, interesting. No source in particular, but I thought I had heard somewhere that this was the case. Although if it does give 19-21 move scrambles, most of these aren't optimal, as a vast majority of solutions fall in the range of 16 to 19 moves. I guess I just underestimated how optimal they can be given the time constraints. Thanks for the correction. :)

xyzzy

I guess I just underestimated how optimal they can be given the time constraints.

As I understand it, it's not so much of a time constraint as a move constraint. For a given random state, it generates solutions until it gets one that is at most 21 moves, and sometimes (usually?) the first solution that's at most 21 moves has ≤20 moves. A 21-move filter generates solutions significantly faster than a 20-move filter, and either of those would be way faster than an optimal solver.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As I understand it, it's not so much of a time constraint as a move constraint. For a given random state, it generates solutions until it gets one that is at most 21 moves, and sometimes (usually?) the first solution that's at most 21 moves has ≤20 moves. A 21-move filter generates solutions significantly faster than a 20-move filter, and either of those would be way faster than an optimal solver.

That's really cool. Thanks for the info! :)

LexCubing

Remember his video abot his scheme and it shows various images he uses during bld. Can't find it anymore on YT. Do you where it is?

AndrewKimmey

WCA
2017KIMM02
So, if someone were to ask me what my average is, what number would I tell them? My ao5? 12? 50? 100? Latest WCA official average that's slightly outdated now? All of those numbers are different, so... how do you know which one is your current, real average?

Your best average of 100 is adequate, but if you do an average of 1000 over a few days that will be most accurate.

AndrewKimmey

WCA
2017KIMM02
Yeah, I was thinking a0100, because that's always going to be one of the higher numbers and its better safe than sorry if you tell someone you're sub 20, and then you show them like two 25s in a row.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys! Been out of the game for a while and looking to order some of the new cubes that are out there. I've been reading out magnets (?!) in cubes, and I'm wondering if anyone can point towards the cubes that have them, as well as the benefits.

The most popular cubes with magnets right now are probably the Gan356 Air UM, the MoYu WeiLong GTS2 M, and the Valk3 M. They have an interesting feeling that provides the right amount of stability to avoid most lock-ups while still allowing you to turn fast. It's kind of something you need to try to understand, so if you have any future competitions, that'd be the best place to try some out before you buy them. Most people who have tried magnetic cubes seem to prefer them though, so if you don't have any competitions coming up and you're looking for a new cube, I'd give a magnetic cube a go. :)

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The most popular cubes with magnets right now are probably the Gan356 Air UM, the MoYu WeiLong GTS2 M, and the Valk3 M. They have an interesting feeling that provides the right amount of stability to avoid most lock-ups while still allowing you to turn fast. It's kind of something you need to try to understand, so if you have any future competitions, that'd be the best place to try some out before you buy them. Most people who have tried magnetic cubes seem to prefer them though, so if you don't have any competitions coming up and you're looking for a new cube, I'd give a magnetic cube a go. :)
Yeah I don't really compete anymore, so I'll probably just go ahead and buy one. Looking at cubes now is crazy though, $28 for a 3x3 is insane.. Missing the days of the $9 dayans.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Yeah I don't really compete anymore, so I'll probably just go ahead and buy one. Looking at cubes now is crazy though, $28 for a 3x3 is insane.. Missing the days of the $9 dayans.

Another good option is to spend $5-10 on a cube (I've heard that the MF3S responds well to magnets, and that's $2.49 right now at theCubicle), ~$5 on magnets, a couple bucks on some superglue, and go to town. It's kind of fun.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

If they're too expensive for you, you do have a couple other options. DIY magnetic cubes are pretty popular, especially for cubes that don't have mass produced magnetic variations. I haven't made any personally, but I plan on doing it in the future by following some online tutorials. Another option is to just stick with a non-magnetic cube like a regular Valk 3, GTS2, or even a QiYi Thunderclap if you're on a budget. Magnetic cubes aren't necessary, but they can make solving more fun and generally enhance a cube's quality.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If they're too expensive for you, you do have a couple other options. DIY magnetic cubes are pretty popular, especially for cubes that don't have mass produced magnetic variations. I haven't made any personally, but I plan on doing it in the future by following some online tutorials. Another option is to just stick with a non-magnetic cube like a regular Valk 3, GTS2, or even a QiYi Thunderclap if you're on a budget. Magnetic cubes aren't necessary, but they can make solving more fun and generally enhance a cube's quality.
Ahhh yeah not really too worried about money anymore. It was just surprising to go onto sites and see the average 3x3 going for more than ~$20.

McubeS

So I was looking at the ZZ method presented by those who are in charge of cube crider;
http://cube.crider.co.uk/zz.php?p=f2l

And in the Corner already placed section, the 2nd case has an alg + sub opt.

What does sub opt mean?

Edit: I noticed that I put this thread in the wrong section. Sorry. Won't happen again.

Sue Doenim

It stands for sub-optimal, meaning it takes more moves than the most efficient way to solve the case, so it may be longer, but with better ergonomics.

WCA
2017PAOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How could I describe my turning style?

I prefer looser cubes. All my mains are loosened from stock tensions and I have the purple ges nuts on my Air. I don't lock up at all but do need moderately good corner cutting once in a while.