• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Block Keeper: Cross platform desktop timer

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just started using this and I really like it. Suggestion though. I just started learning square-1, and the scrambles are pretty long. I have a small laptop, and even when the window is maximized, the scramble is on two lines, unless I make it a 3 font size. That's fine, however, it seems like the scrambles are "right justified" so it leaves a big space between the box in the upper left, and the start of the scramble. It seems like "left justified" would always start the scramble right next to the box in the upper left. Just my $.02

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Another idea I just had. What about displaying the person's PB for each event? It could be manually entered, or generated by block keeper. You already have it broken up by event, so I would think you would be able to set up a PB setting. It could even display "NEW PB!" when you get one.
Brian

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
I think a tool which displays event statistics (Like best time and best Ao5, etc) would be an great addition. The option to have "New PB" appear would work well too.

On a seperate note, I have a number of event specific changes for next version, like removing inspection in blind events and and option to use split keys for OH, requiring a key to be held during solves, similar to competition rules.
But I have removed FMC and MBLD support entirely, because the current system really doesn't support these events, they are different from other timed events.

At this point I plan to create specific apps for each of these events, with none of the limitations of Block Keeper's, timer based layout and system.

If you have any suggestions or requests for these apps, let me know, I'm no expert on these events.

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
I extremely like the BlockKeeper. It has pretty UI and many functions too.;) But here are a few suggestions:
1. Block Keeper portable:p
-Sometimes I also solves cube on other computer (school, friends..) so putiing it on the pendrive is a good idea. But seems like the timer saves record to AppData so its not portableo_O
2. Start timer using left mouse button:cool:
- There are people (like me) who diy a timer from old mouse.
3. Customizable split key timer

And also the file size is a little bit too big.
Also thanks for the amazimg software.:rolleyes:

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
I extremely like the BlockKeeper. It has pretty UI and many functions too.;) But here are a few suggestions:
1. Block Keeper portable:p
-Sometimes I also solves cube on other computer (school, friends..) so putiing it on the pendrive is a good idea. But seems like the timer saves record to AppData so its not portableo_O
2. Start timer using left mouse button:cool:
- There are people (like me) who diy a timer from old mouse.
3. Customizable split key timer

And also the file size is a little bit too big.
Also thanks for the amazimg software.:rolleyes:

Thanks!
1. I will look into having a portable option which would be the option to save and load preferences and sessions in a custom folder, rather than the default directory.
2. Can do!
3. You can customise which keys you would like to use. Is there something else that you thought of?
I would LOVE the file sizes to be smaller, but Block Keeper uses a framework which makes the app essentially a mini chrome browser . It allows Block Keeper to do lots of really cool things that a website and a local app can do (like access video camera and save files to disk, but also have a very customisable UI) The only drawback is file sizes are big.

Also, update on PB notifications and event bests development.
https://twitter.com/dmcneil_/status/886044294481494016
https://twitter.com/dmcneil_/status/886122871667294208

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks!
1. I will look into having a portable option which would be the option to save and load preferences and sessions in a custom folder, rather than the default directory.
2. Can do!
3. You can customise which keys you would like to use. Is there something else that you thought of?
I would LOVE the file sizes to be smaller, but Block Keeper uses a framework which makes the app essentially a mini chrome browser . It allows Block Keeper to do lots of really cool things that a website and a local app can do (like access video camera and save files to disk, but also have a very customisable UI) The only drawback is file sizes are big.

Also, update on PB notifications and event bests development.
https://twitter.com/dmcneil_/status/886044294481494016
https://twitter.com/dmcneil_/status/886122871667294208
1. Thanks!:rolleyes:
2. How to do that?:confused:
3. Sorry just find it out.:eek:

Elf

WCA
2013FISC01
Hi DalDal,
after a bit of using Block Keeper, I find that the timer starts to lag a bit in sessions with about 400 solves. My current 3x3 session is at 480 solves, and after stopping the timer, I can see the time I'll get minus 0.05 seconds for ~0.4 seconds, then the whole timer reappears and it shows me my real time.
Has this to do with my very bad laptop or with the timer? :) (or maybe it's because I'm using an older version again)

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hi DalDal,
after a bit of using Block Keeper, I find that the timer starts to lag a bit in sessions with about 400 solves. My current 3x3 session is at 480 solves, and after stopping the timer, I can see the time I'll get minus 0.05 seconds for ~0.4 seconds, then the whole timer reappears and it shows me my real time.
Has this to do with my very bad laptop or with the timer? :) (or maybe it's because I'm using an older version again)
Every time a record is edited, created, deleted etc. The table is completely recalculated and repopulated from the times, this keeps every piece of information correct throughout the timer. However, when many results need to be calculated (400+), this could cause a bit of lag each time, especially on lower end systems. It's a combination of both.

I'll look at optimising the code that populates the table, (it's kinda ugly and I want to redo it).
I recommend having many smaller sessions (maybe one a day/week) but everyone uses sessions differently so it's up to you.

EDIT: Block Keeper also autosaves all sessions, if you have a hard drive rather than an SSD, this could also cause a bit of lag.

Last edited:

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Update on making Block Keeper portable. It is possible to store data with the app bundle, BUT when you update the app (download the latest version) you will loose your data in the old version. It isn't completely ideal to have it stored on the system, but it works. :/

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
Update on making Block Keeper portable. It is possible to store data with the app bundle, BUT when you update the app (download the latest version) you will loose your data in the old version. It isn't completely ideal to have it stored on the system, but it works. :/
We can export the data, update the timer, then import againo_O isn't it?;)

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
We can export the data, update the timer, then import againo_O isn't it?;)

It's just a big expectation for everyone to download the latest version and also copy their data across, it becomes a hassle and discourages updating. Plus, preferences aren't import/exportable. I would love there to be an option to switch where data is saved, to satisfy both cases, but on startup, Block Keeper wouldn't know where to find preferences and data, because that information is stored in preferences, which it wouldn't know where it is stored.

I'm not giving up on the idea, but it needs to be a well thought out solution, that works for portable and normal use, with updates in mind. It is extremely important information after all ;)

creative_name

YouTube
Visit Channel
I downloaded block keeper and need a bit of tech support :) The program does not appear in the all programs part of the start menu and I can't access video recordings. (I don't think I gave the program permission to access the camera, where can I do this?) I am on Windows 7.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Edit: I would like to use my built-in webcam which seemingly can't be accessed by skype either

Last edited:

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01