• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

xyzzy

Is it not 192 just for the edges in a 6x6? 4 for each of the 48 edges.

You need doubled magnets only on the innermost layers, so it's 3 per inner wing (3×24=72), 2 per outer wing (2×24=48), and 3 per corner (3×8=24), for 144 magnets in total.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Is it not 192 just for the edges in a 6x6? 4 for each of the 48 edges.
Maybe I'm making a big mistake, but as @xyzzy said: there are 3 sets of magnets. The inner slice needs to be doubled, but once you have that taken care of it's basically a 5x5. If the pair of edges is symmetrical you can flip it 180° without changing polarities or locations at all, and treat outer wings just like you would wings on a 5x5.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, a problem with your current formula is that a competitor can show up and present 100 cubes to the judges with the intention of only solving 10. This would become very irritating to judges and scramblers. There is nothing in your system that discourages this kind of behavior.

You need doubled magnets only on the innermost layers, so it's 3 per inner wing (3×24=72), 2 per outer wing (2×24=48), and 3 per corner (3×8=24), for 144 magnets in total.

Maybe I'm making a big mistake, but as @xyzzy said: there are 3 sets of magnets. The inner slice needs to be doubled, but once you have that taken care of it's basically a 5x5. If the pair of edges is symmetrical you can flip it 180° without changing polarities or locations at all, and treat outer wings just like you would wings on a 5x5.
I hadn't realised that the outer wings didn't need to double up but after drawing some diagrams it makes sense now. Thanks.

qbtronix

I generally prefer a more subtle feel from my magnetized cubes. I've done two cubes with 4x2mm N50s and four cubes with 4x2mm N35s, and they all are ok except for the Gans Air. The 4x2mm N35s are just a bit too aggressive for my taste for this puzzle. I want something less snappy but obviously still palpable. What would be a good step down, 3x2mm N35s, 3x1.5mm N35s, or something else?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I generally prefer a more subtle feel from my magnetized cubes. I've done two cubes with 4x2mm N50s and four cubes with 4x2mm N35s, and they all are ok except for the Gans Air. The 4x2mm N35s are just a bit too aggressive for my taste for this puzzle. I want something less snappy but obviously still palpable. What would be a good step down, 3x2mm N35s, 3x1.5mm N35s, or something else?
Have you used this site yo calculate pull force?
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp
Just pop in the details of the readily available alternatives.

qbtronix

I've never bothered filling it in.

Thanks, this thing is excellent! I'll play around with it and see what I'll find. The distance field addresses the thickness of the plastic, eg N50s are a better choice for the Weilong GTS due to its thick plastic.

BirdPuzzles

WCA
2017SELF01

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
where is the cheapest place to buy N38-N42 magnets, i cant find any for reasonable prices as my N35s were 99p for 50 and N50s are 1.99 for 50 on ebay but I cannot find N38-42 there for reasonable prices
I had the same issue so I bought bigger N35s.

Edit: You can also mix and match with one size in corners and another in edges.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I find gel easier as it stays where you put it.
Is there ever an issue with the gel forcing the magnets further away from the piece and therefore further apart, so they have a weaker feel? I've only used liquid, and you have to be careful and not mind a little extra glue inside the piece, but I haven't had significant trouble with it.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there ever an issue with the gel forcing the magnets further away from the piece and therefore further apart, so they have a weaker feel? I've only used liquid, and you have to be careful and not mind a little extra glue inside the piece, but I haven't had significant trouble with it.
Not that I have noticed. I expect that any difference would be tiny. The magnets will displace the glue if you use a lot.

DMCubing

where is the cheapest place to buy N38-N42 magnets, i cant find any for reasonable prices as my N35s were 99p for 50 and N50s are 1.99 for 50 on ebay but I cannot find N38-42 there for reasonable prices

The only place I know of is gaussboys.com and they are, IMO, extremely reasonable for the quality of magnet that they are. I've purchased 1000s of magnets from various sellers from around the world, and the quality of their magnets is without a doubt the best I've seen. So I think you really get what you pay for, especially with them. Plus, the magnet will be up to spec.

There's been a trend lately by MANY sellers of magnets (mostly on ebay) to misrepresent what they're selling as higher grade than it actually is. I had at least eight different comments from people just yesterday on one of my videos tell me that they've used N50s in cubes such as the Air, Valk, and GTS2, and then tell me that these magnets actually felt subtle in these cubes! That was just yesterday, but I've been hearing this over and over almost daily now. These magnets are probably ok to use but should be approached as N35.

Anyway I just bring this up that most often you'll be better off dealing with someone whose sole business is magnets and someone who's easy to communicate with. Ultimately the few dollars more that you spend assures you that you'll be getting the right magnet, the plating will be durable and high quality, and you'll receive them in a couple of days. In the long run, it's the better buy, I think. But I do certainly understand how tempting some of those lower prices are!