• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I made my first magnetic cube last night. I used a Valk and 5x1.5 N38s. It's really dry and quite tight at the moment because I haven't had a chance to lube or tension it yet, but so far it seems the magnets may be a bit too strong. I have another Valk and a set of 3x2 N38s so I'm going to magnetise that over the weekend. I'm expecting those to be a bit on the weak side, so hopefully if I swap the corners of the two cubes, I'll land up with two awesome cubes.

Here's what I learned from the experience:
  1. Smaller thicker magnets are much easier to separate. The fingernail on my right thumb hurts like hell after separating those 5x1.5s.
  2. You should choose your glue based on how you use it. I chose a two part epoxy that starts setting 3 minutes after mixing. Even working quickly, I could only glue about 6-8 magnets in that time. Something slower drying that doesn't need mixing is probably best.
  3. Don't be messy. I was rushing because of the glue drying and got some glue across those slots inside the corners on a couple of pieces. It took me half an hour with a knife to scrape the glue out of the slots so I could get the corner back together.
Nice one ! :) I used the 3x2 N35's in my Valk which have a pull strength of around 2kg less than the N38's, and I think they are too weak in the Valk. I do like the Valk M though it has been made better IMO, but it could be a bit better :)

Here is an online calculator for determining magnet pull strength ... https://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

I found that sliding the magnets across each other as the easiest way of separating them. They split easily. I've used Superglue because it's easy to apply and the initial contact sticks quite quickly. It does take a while to dry completely but seems to do the job.

Probably the biggest thing I've found is organisation. When I've had everything organised ITO parts and process the entire process flows nicely and can get done quite quickly but effectively.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Has anyone actually tried magnetizing the Yuxin Blue? I prefer my magnets not to be very strong. I like the feeling of 4x2mm N35's in my Valk so I would like the same feeling in my Yuxin Blue.
I did my Blue a few weeks ago. I used N35 3x2mm on the edge pieces and N35 4x2mm on the corners, with only 3 magnets in each corner like in a 3x3.

It turned out awesome IMO. If I hadn't put magnets in my WuQue I'd be using the Blue M as my main for sure, no doubt.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
Has anyone actually tried magnetizing the Yuxin Blue? I prefer my magnets not to be very strong. I like the feeling of 4x2mm N35's in my Valk so I would like the same feeling in my Yuxin Blue.

Idk how it feels in the valk, but N35 4x2s are really faint in my Yuxin blue. Also, get weaker magnets for the inner layers because those magnets will be double the strength as normal to accommodate for parity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sn0W1337

Hi!
I'm going to try making magnetic cubes, and I'm going to use a weilong Gts and a kung-fu 2x2.
I think I will go for n50 4x2 my for the weilong gts and don't know what to use for magnets for the Kung Fu 2x2? What magnets do you recommend? I thin I will be using n35 4x2 mm:)

Last edited:

mitja

WCA
2016POPO02
I did my Blue a few weeks ago. I used N35 3x2mm on the edge pieces and N35 4x2mm on the corners, with only 3 magnets in each corner like in a 3x3.

It turned out awesome IMO. If I hadn't put magnets in my WuQue I'd be using the Blue M as my main for sure, no doubt.
Hi, I would like to put magnets in my wuque. Do you have some detaild instructions which magnets and where to put theem? I have never done it. I would also like to put them into my valk3 stickerless. So, i get them on ebay? I guess gorilla super glue would be ok?. How do you know on which exact spot to put them?
Thanks for any info

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Hi, I would like to put magnets in my wuque. Do you have some detaild instructions which magnets and where to put theem? I have never done it. I would also like to put them into my valk3 stickerless. So, i get them on ebay? I guess gorilla super glue would be ok?. How do you know on which exact spot to put them?
Thanks for any info
There are already a few tutorials on YouTube on magnetising a 4x4. For reference search for DMCubing and SpeedCubeReview. DMCubing has a bunch of tutorials on putting magnets into various 3x3's and has a good process and method which is what I've been using. SpeedCubeReview has done some videos on putting magnets in larger cubes including 4x4.

Aysha

WCA
2017JAMS01
Thanks for any info

I used Taco Cuber's tutorial for magnetizing the WuQue.

DMCubing

Has anybody noticed what might appear to be counterfeit magnets hitting the market?

Daily, I receive comments on my videos from people saying that either they've used N50 4mm x 2mm in cubes like the Air or Valk (which if they were true N50s would result in a terrible feeling cube), or the N50s which they received were nearly unnoticeable in cubes like the GTS or Thunderclap V1.

It's a daily thing for me now to get comments like this and it leads me to believe there are a lot of sales being made where the quality and grade of magnets is being misrepresented, where N35s are being passed off as N50s.

Seems like a lot of these are being purchased on eBay. Then yesterday I get a comment from a fellow who says his Valk is ruined because he used "N35s" in it. So in his case, his N35s were overly strong.

Fwiw, the best companies I know of are apexmagnets.com for the 4x2 N48, thethackery.com for 4x2 N52, and gaussboys.com for 4x2 N38 and N42. Gaussboys are extremely high quality mags, their gold plated N42s (which feel like magic in a Valk, btw) are jewelry quality- the most beautiful magnets I've ever seen! Apex mags are great but you need to catch them on a weekend when they offer free shipping, and Thackery is extremely efficient and the quality of their magnets is top notch. Occasionally I'll use magnets365.com (a Chinese company with a US ship-from address) for 4x2 N35- they're ok quality (not the quality of the others I just mentioned), but they're consistent and work perfectly in the Air, Valk, some 2x2s and others. And recently I placed several orders with Chinese companies to try out some hard to find sizes like 3x2. Still waiting on those....

I tend to always order in minimums of no less than 500 magnets in order to save on shipping, etc. I realize that's a bit overkill for the casual magmodder.

I don't think I'd recommend using eBay. I think you're better off dealing with a reputable magnet company that you can call up and talk to. If you're really into making a decent high performance cube, why cheap out with the magnets? I don't think it's worth the gamble.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the write up @DMCubing , I took a gamble but I just ordered 100 4x2mm gold plated N42s from gaussboys to try out in probably a Thunderclap before moving on to the main show, my GTS, if they work well. I read every single post in this thread and gathered N35s are generally too weak, N50s are usually quite strong, and N38s and N42s are relatively common middle grounds, however it is of course up to personal preference and what cube you use and the thickness of its plastic makes a big difference.

Hype.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the write up @DMCubing , I took a gamble but I just ordered 100 4x2mm gold plated N42s from gaussboys to try out in probably a Thunderclap before moving on to the main show, my GTS, if they work well. I read every single post in this thread and gathered N35s are generally too weak, N50s are usually quite strong, and N38s and N42s are relatively common middle grounds, however it is of course up to personal preference and what cube you use and the thickness of its plastic makes a big difference.

Hype.
I think you've made a good choice. They'll work nicely in the Thunderclap.

DMCubing

Exactly. It really comes down to personal preference. I love the N42s in the Valk and I prefer both the N48 and 52 in the Illusion GTS.
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Thunderclap V1. I've made two, one with N48 and the other with N52. It can handle the stronger mags pretty well. I haven't tried the N42s in it yet. I might. I've got an extra one that hasn't been magnetized so I might do that when I get a chance.

You'll love those N42s from gaussboys. They're almost too pretty to use. Seriously, jewelry quality.

Hype.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Exactly. It really comes down to personal preference. I love the N42s in the Valk and I prefer both the N48 and 52 in the Illusion GTS.
I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the Thunderclap V1. I've made two, one with N48 and the other with N52. It can handle the stronger mags pretty well. I haven't tried the N42s in it yet. I might. I've got an extra one that hasn't been magnetized so I might do that when I get a chance.

You'll love those N42s from gaussboys. They're almost too pretty to use. Seriously, jewelry quality.

So I ended up receiving my magnets today, a bit earlier than I anticipated. Went out, bought some Gorilla Gel Superglue and went to town, except I got ancy and went straight into magnetizing the GTS. I don't really use that Thunderclap at all, just planned on doing it as a test cube in case I learned I absolutely suck at magnetizing cubes.

First off, you're right, these gold plated N42s are beautiful, and covering them in superglue that dries clear-white-ish and hiding them under caps really doesn't do them justice, but alas I bought them for their magnetic force, not their beauty.

As for my process I simply glued one magnet in a corner then the corresponding magnet in an adjacent edge, letting the magnets' pull do the brunt of the work of placing it (as in, I put some glue in then brought the magnet close and let go and it snapped into place, not precisely placing it with tweezers like I had originally intended, my roommate was in the shower and my tweezers were in there, I was impatient lol.) I used a fine tip sharpie to adjust a bit if need be, then put a bit more glue around the edge of the magnet, and wiped down excess glue if need be, like if some got on the outside edge of the piece where it could possible glue itself to another piece. Then I twisted the corner and repeated placing the other two magnets, using the adjacent edge's magnet as a guide. I continued on from there going all the way around, never placing a magnet without having its adjacent magnet in place to snap it in.

This is my first time using a magnetic cube, and I'm surprised that these feel as strong as they do after watching a few youtube videos that basically said, "Anything less than N50s aren't noticeable in a GTS," and being a bit worried (this is all after I already bought the magnets.) There isn't any audible click or anything, but you certainly feel when the layers snap into place when slow turning and you can feel the resistance when trying to lightly turn.

The cube's stability has been dramatically increased, as I expected. The GTS is a very unstable cube, at the tensions I use it would be able to sort of wiggle around and contort from cube shape just by applying a bit of pressure as I held it, and this has been almost completely curtailed by the magnets.

I'm still getting used to it, it's very strange after being so accustomed to its unstable, wobbly self. Also I'm quite certain that in the process of magnetizing it a fair bit of lube got wiped off from reaching in, pulling out an edge, or prying off center caps (I did manage to start bleeding under my thumbnail after prying so many apart, lol,) so I'll probably need to clean it out and relube it soon. I'm considering trying DNM37 again, the first time I put it in it made it absurdly fast and uncontrolable, which might pair well with the stability provided by the magnets now. I also got some Traxxas 30k in today so I might just use that instead, or both, who knows. Thoughts? I have 30k, Cubicle weight 2 and 4, Lubicle, and DNM37.

Thanks again for the tips, feel free to pass on any other industry tips you may have!

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I ended up receiving my magnets today, a bit earlier than I anticipated. Went out, bought some Gorilla Gel Superglue and went to town, except I got ancy and went straight into magnetizing the GTS. I don't really use that Thunderclap at all, just planned on doing it as a test cube in case I learned I absolutely suck at magnetizing cubes.

First off, you're right, these gold plated N42s are beautiful, and covering them in superglue that dries clear-white-ish and hiding them under caps really doesn't do them justice, but alas I bought them for their magnetic force, not their beauty.

As for my process I simply glued one magnet in a corner then the corresponding magnet in an adjacent edge, letting the magnets' pull do the brunt of the work of placing it (as in, I put some glue in then brought the magnet close and let go and it snapped into place, not precisely placing it with tweezers like I had originally intended, my roommate was in the shower and my tweezers were in there, I was impatient lol.) I used a fine tip sharpie to adjust a bit if need be, then put a bit more glue around the edge of the magnet, and wiped down excess glue if need be, like if some got on the outside edge of the piece where it could possible glue itself to another piece. Then I twisted the corner and repeated placing the other two magnets, using the adjacent edge's magnet as a guide. I continued on from there going all the way around, never placing a magnet without having its adjacent magnet in place to snap it in.

This is my first time using a magnetic cube, and I'm surprised that these feel as strong as they do after watching a few youtube videos that basically said, "Anything less than N50s aren't noticeable in a GTS," and being a bit worried (this is all after I already bought the magnets.) There isn't any audible click or anything, but you certainly feel when the layers snap into place when slow turning and you can feel the resistance when trying to lightly turn.

The cube's stability has been dramatically increased, as I expected. The GTS is a very unstable cube, at the tensions I use it would be able to sort of wiggle around and contort from cube shape just by applying a bit of pressure as I held it, and this has been almost completely curtailed by the magnets.

I'm still getting used to it, it's very strange after being so accustomed to its unstable, wobbly self. Also I'm quite certain that in the process of magnetizing it a fair bit of lube got wiped off from reaching in, pulling out an edge, or prying off center caps (I did manage to start bleeding under my thumbnail after prying so many apart, lol,) so I'll probably need to clean it out and relube it soon. I'm considering trying DNM37 again, the first time I put it in it made it absurdly fast and uncontrolable, which might pair well with the stability provided by the magnets now. I also got some Traxxas 30k in today so I might just use that instead, or both, who knows. Thoughts? I have 30k, Cubicle weight 2 and 4, Lubicle, and DNM37.

Thanks again for the tips, feel free to pass on any other industry tips you may have!
2 tips as you are asking.
  1. Loosen your tensions. The cube can take it. I do at least a full turn on the Thunderclap.
  2. Rather than do a whole corner just do one magnet then move on to another corner. It gives the glue a little longer to dry before the force of other magnets start pulling each other sideways. You can also leave a spare magnet on the outside to help keep them in place while they dry.
I'll make my tips video one day.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 tips as you are asking.
  1. Loosen your tensions. The cube can take it. I do at least a full turn on the Thunderclap.
  2. Rather than do a whole corner just do one magnet then move on to another corner. It gives the glue a little longer to dry before the force of other magnets start pulling each other sideways. You can also leave a spare magnet on the outside to help keep them in place while they dry.
I'll make my tips video one day.

I already loosened it by a quarter turn, but I'll take your advice and go further.

Hmm, that's interesting, I never considered the force of the other nearby magnets in the corner being an issue when they're drying but that makes perfect sense. Good news is I wasn't making particularly good time (~4 hours for the whole thing,) so as far as I can tell the glue dried and set fine. If I do it like you're saying I can't use other magnets as a guide, at some point I'll have to place a magnet in a lone corner without an adjacent edge to guide it, right? That's fine, I would just need to be careful and probably use tweezers or something.

One thing I noticed late last night that I didn't consider: I let the cube dry for about 30 minutes after I placed the last magnet before placing the caps back on, which meant the first magnets had nearly 5 hours to dry. Now there is a light white film inside the cap, probably from glue fumes trapped inside that condensed around the edges of the plastic and on the "stalks". As far as I can tell it isn't a problem, it just looks kinda ugly under the caps now. If I had left the caps off overnight or something instead would this have been avoided?

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I do it like you're saying I can't use other magnets as a guide, at some point I'll have to place a magnet in a lone corner without an adjacent edge to guide it, right? That's fine, I would just need to be careful and probably use tweezers or something

What you can do is, once you have put a magnet in each corner, you then use a corner to do a set of edges before going back to corners. I have quite a good system doing the Thunderclaps where I go back and forth between them.

One thing I noticed late last night that I didn't consider: I let the cube dry for about 30 minutes after I placed the last magnet before placing the caps back on, which meant the first magnets had nearly 5 hours to dry. Now there is a light white film inside the cap, probably from glue fumes trapped inside that condensed around the edges of the plastic and on the "stalks". As far as I can tell it isn't a problem, it just looks kinda ugly under the caps now. If I had left the caps off overnight or something

I have no idea how to avoid this. All of mine look disgusting inside. I do the whole thing in around half an hour.