• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

Iamdrewbrees

- gans 356s v2 ultimate magnetic. Did the ultimate mod myself, magnets are n48 4x2 in the corners, and n48 4x1 in the edges. I think for most people they would be a little too weak. For me using roux they are too weak. But still an amazing cube.
Hold up your gans feels awful, your right about the magnets, but the ultimate mod effed that thing up

kliang9299

For those of us who are lucky enough to have Aolong V1s, it is impossible to fit magnets into the corners, at least the conventional 4x2 magnets. It is possible to stick them into V2 corners though and then stick those into the V1. You're essentially left with a more stable, less corner twisty Aolong V1 and it's incredible.

Aysha

WCA
2017JAMS01
For those of us who are lucky enough to have Aolong V1s, it is impossible to fit magnets into the corners, at least the conventional 4x2 magnets. It is possible to stick them into V2 corners though and then stick those into the V1. You're essentially left with a more stable, less corner twisty Aolong V1 and it's incredible.

Wow that sounds awesome, I might try it out on my mini Aolong V1 before trying it on the full sized V1. Any specific magnet strength you recommend (N35/N42/N50)?

kliang9299

Wow that sounds awesome, I might try it out on my mini Aolong V1 before trying it on the full sized V1. Any specific magnet strength you recommend (N35/N42/N50)?
I used 4x2 N50s since Moyu tends to use thicker plastic than say QiYi or Gan. Like I said though, the corners don't really fit into the V1 corners so if you don't really like the feel, you can just put the old unmagnetized corners back in.

Aysha

WCA
2017JAMS01
I used 4x2 N50s since Moyu tends to use thicker plastic than say QiYi or Gan. Like I said though, the corners don't really fit into the V1 corners so if you don't really like the feel, you can just put the old unmagnetized corners back in.

What about small sized magnets for the corners? For example 3x2mm?

kliang9299

What about small sized magnets for the corners? For example 3x2mm?
You know, 3x1s might actually fit. You're just gonna have to double up on them since 3x1s aren't very strong at all. I don't have any 4x1s so I don't know if those'll fit.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I just got my magnets for magnetizing a big cube. Unfortunately they're too big for my Aoshi or Aofu. I could fit 3x2 in the Aoshi, but not 4x2, and the corners on the Aofu are ridiculous, I don't see any way too fit anything in there. I've got a couple of ideas I would appreciate feedback on. In ascending order of preference:

1. I could fit magnets in the centers and edges of my Dayan megaminx. This seems like it would just be a waste of 120 magnets, but has somebody tried something like this and liked it?

2. I could magnetize my Weichuang (I've also got a Yuxin 5x5 that could probably work).

3. I could get 3x2 n50 magnets to do my Aoshi. Has anybody tried this?

4. I could magnetize an Aosu or CB mini 4x4. I kind of don't want to risk my G4.

5. Does anybody have the new CB 6x6? Could you fit 4x2s in there?

6. What about a SS gigaminx? I've been looking for an excuse to get one.

7. Has anybody had a Wuji/Huanglong/Guanfu/Yufu/MF7S apart enough to know whether any of them could be effectively magnetized?

WCA
2014BLOC01
I just got my magnets for magnetizing a big cube. Unfortunately they're too big for my Aoshi or Aofu. I could fit 3x2 in the Aoshi, but not 4x2, and the corners on the Aofu are ridiculous, I don't see any way too fit anything in there. I've got a couple of ideas I would appreciate feedback on. In ascending order of preference:

1. I could fit magnets in the centers and edges of my Dayan megaminx. This seems like it would just be a waste of 120 magnets, but has somebody tried something like this and liked it?

2. I could magnetize my Weichuang (I've also got a Yuxin 5x5 that could probably work).

I've magnetized two Shengshou Aurora megas, and the second time worked out pretty well. Magnetic Weichuang is really good, too.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I've magnetized two Shengshou Aurora megas, and the second time worked out pretty well. Magnetic Weichuang is really good, too.

How did you arrange the magnets in the second megaminx differently than the first? Did you try a centers-edges scheme, by any chance? I am kind of leaning toward the Weichuang, but I haven't done anything yet and I'm not in too much of a hurry. The other one I'm most tempted by is the CB mini 4x4. I kind of wonder if with magnets and drastically looser tensions it might not be fantastic. Or a mini Aosu . . .

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I've done 3 magnetic conversions so far. Weilong GTS, GAN Air, and Valk 3.

Weilong : 4mmx2mm N35's
GAN Air : 4mmx2mm N35's
Valk 3: 3mmx2mm N35's

So far I only like the feel of the GTS. The same magnets in the Air are way to strong for my liking which is why I went for weaker magnets in the Valk which turned out too weak.

So my question is, what would be recommended for the Air if the 4x2 N35's are to strong ? Also given that the 3x2 N35's are to weak for the Valk would the 4x2 N35's be good for the Valk ?

I want to magnetise my Yuxin Blue and was thinking of using the 3x2 N35's in the Edges and the 4x2 N35's in the Corners. Would this be a good option ?

allanboss131

I've done 3 magnetic conversions so far. Weilong GTS, GAN Air, and Valk 3.

Weilong : 4mmx2mm N35's
GAN Air : 4mmx2mm N35's
Valk 3: 3mmx2mm N35's

So far I only like the feel of the GTS. The same magnets in the Air are way to strong for my liking which is why I went for weaker magnets in the Valk which turned out too weak.

So my question is, what would be recommended for the Air if the 4x2 N35's are to strong ? Also given that the 3x2 N35's are to weak for the Valk would the 4x2 N35's be good for the Valk ?

I want to magnetise my Yuxin Blue and was thinking of using the 3x2 N35's in the Edges and the 4x2 N35's in the Corners. Would this be a good option ?
It seems like the outer layers may be too weak. When I made mine I used 4x1 n48s in the inner edges and outer edges, the used 4x2 n48 in the corners and it has a perfect attraction for me. I wouldn't use anything weaker than that honestly. But it's all personal preference.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I made my first magnetic cube last night. I used a Valk and 5x1.5 N38s. It's really dry and quite tight at the moment because I haven't had a chance to lube or tension it yet, but so far it seems the magnets may be a bit too strong. I have another Valk and a set of 3x2 N38s so I'm going to magnetise that over the weekend. I'm expecting those to be a bit on the weak side, so hopefully if I swap the corners of the two cubes, I'll land up with two awesome cubes.

Here's what I learned from the experience:
  1. Smaller thicker magnets are much easier to separate. The fingernail on my right thumb hurts like hell after separating those 5x1.5s.
  2. You should choose your glue based on how you use it. I chose a two part epoxy that starts setting 3 minutes after mixing. Even working quickly, I could only glue about 6-8 magnets in that time. Something slower drying that doesn't need mixing is probably best.
  3. Don't be messy. I was rushing because of the glue drying and got some glue across those slots inside the corners on a couple of pieces. It took me half an hour with a knife to scrape the glue out of the slots so I could get the corner back together.

Aysha

WCA
2017JAMS01
Has anyone actually tried magnetizing the Yuxin Blue? I prefer my magnets not to be very strong. I like the feeling of 4x2mm N35's in my Valk so I would like the same feeling in my Yuxin Blue.