• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Want to get a DaYan 2x2 50mm, what lube would fit it? Completely new to lube. Thanks.
I put Traxxis 50K in mine a while ago and it's been perfectly fine. I've had mixed results with Maru, sometimes it gets really sticky and horrible and sometimes it gets really fast and nice, not sure why...
I'm not big into 2x2, so I'm probably not an expert, but really any silicone grease (Traxxis, Lubicle, etc.) should do well.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
Hi guys, i was wondering if there's a need for 4x4's and 6x6's to have their cores lubed. Because i noticed the screws don't move only the rings around the cores move, so i know those parts i should be lubing. but what about the screws? should i take that apart and will lubing that part prolong the lifespan of the cube or nah?

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Hi guys, I was wondering if there's a need for 4x4's and 6x6's to have their cores lubed. I noticed the screws don't move, only the rings around the cores move, so I know I should be lubing those parts, but what about the screws? Should I take that apart, and will lubing that part prolong the lifespan of the cube or nah?
The screw shaft does move, it slides up and down to provide tension.
But, since it's not a rotating part, it's not really necessary to lube it. I always do because there actually is a little spring noise if I don't and sometimes it actually makes the cube feel a little more stable, but it's not nearly as much of a concern as it is on even-order cubes.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
The screw shaft does move, it slides up and down to provide tension.
But, since it's not a rotating part, it's not really necessary to lube it. I always do because there actually is a little spring noise if I don't and sometimes it actually makes the cube feel a little more stable, but it's not nearly as much of a concern as it is on even-order cubes.
Thanks! i forgot about tension in cubes, LOL.

I'll prolly take the time to do it then, might as well

Martial

WCA
2013BONA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello,
Does someone know what kind of lubricant is in the Valk3 when you buy it ? Because I agree that it turns really well after unboxing, and I kept that feeling, I didn't need to lubricate it for 1-2 months.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Anyone have good numbers for how long Silk lasts? I can tell the difference when I put it in a cube, but it wears out so gradually that there's no point where I feel it's actually changed.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone have good numbers for how long Silk lasts? I can tell the difference when I put it in a cube, but it wears out so gradually that there's no point where I feel it's actually changed.

On a 3x3 I usually stop feeling it after about 2-3000 solves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

messiahyo_

I want to lubricate and make my Shaung-Ren V2 smoother and faster. an I do this with oil. If yes, how so?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't, you probably have Vaseline lying around the house and even that is better.

Vaseline's still not that good. If you're going to lubricate a cube, keep in mind that it's never really necessary, and you should only do it with something that will really work. I'd recommend Maru Lube or Lubicle Silk to make it faster, and one of the heavier cubicle lubes to make it smoother.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
Like @DGCubes said, it's not worth it to lubricate it if you're using something that won't work that well.
If you're on a budget, the best bang for your buck is a good silicone differential oil, like Traxxis 50k.
Don't get cooking oil anywhere near your cube, that would make it very sticky (as in the layers stick when you're turning) and you won't be able to get it out. I've ruined a cube that way before.

messiahyo_

Don't, you probably have Vaseline lying around the house and even that is better.
Actually, nope.

To OP, If your oil is petroleum based don't use it as it will degrade the plastic. try something that you would get from a cube store or some silicone lubricant will do.

This just made me laugh :p
I mean, I have veg oil, cocunut oil, olive oil, that kidna oil

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dom

messiahyo_

Vaseline's still not that good. If you're going to lubricate a cube, keep in mind that it's never really necessary, and you should only do it with something that will really work. I'd recommend Maru Lube or Lubicle Silk to make it faster, and one of the heavier cubicle lubes to make it smoother.
I actually can't buy anythin as of now

Then definitely go with the Traxxas as other users mentioned, you can usually find it for like $8 + free shipping
no cash...and not allowed

Last edited by a moderator: